DMS Suggestions for new sections

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello Pagelines DMS team!

I have a few suggestions that I would LOVE to see implemented in your upcoming upgrade, and documentation added asap.

1. Add/include a 2nd background image section as an overlay background above site background for pro acct ( In other words, allow for a second background image to lay on top of the site background image; this would make it easy to add borders on the side for boxed style layout)
  2. Add/include a "divider section with custom image option" too for pro accts (maybe add a section to add custom image dividers to float)
  3. Add/include a new "Tabs and Accordions sections" to pro accts
  4. Allow for DMS to move boxed template areas up and down too.  (right now it only allows to move in or out in the boxed area, but it would be nice to be able to move it up and down too)
  5. Add/include a few more "image grids, galleries, and slider carousels sections" for pro accts
  6. Add/include a "contact form section" to the pro acct
  7. Add/include a "vertical menu-nav with custom image option" to the pro acct
  8. Add more documentation on how to export a Child theme and import, and/or migrate to another site
  9. Add more documentation/tutorials on how to use floating css code to place different sections on top of one another
  10. Add a color wheel to all the sections, thus avoiding having to add custom code.

I would rather see you guys add these features/functions to the DMS panel, rather than having to deal with third party plugins, which I don't like to do unless it's a must.  And to be honest, I would rather have as many available options in the front end for design, and avoid having to go to the back end as much as possible.  You guys made it very convenient to work in the front, but right now it sucks having to go get 3rd party plugins to add functions that should already be included with DMS pro accts.  This would totally make it for a much easier design and DMS experience, and save a lot of time too.

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I think that leaving DMS bare, and being able to extend with 3rd party plugins from the PageLines Store is the reason why the shop exists to begin with. If PL included every feature, there'd be no room for others to benefit financially from it. I'm also 100% for keeping the base frame lean and mean. Not everyone needs all those features. I do agree with some of the things, but maybe can help on a few there.

2. Why not use the media box and upload an iamge?

3. Tabs and Accordions are already included as shortcodes.

4. You can actually do this. Grab the section area and you can switch them around just like the individual sections in the area.

Posted · Report post

I understand your point about the store being financially beneficial to others, and that not everyone will need all those features i listed.  That said, I'm sort of liking the option of drop & drag, so I guess I'm already getting spoiled and do not want to dig too much for code or work in the back end.  

But, the 2nd background template area to overlay on top of the site background area is a big one that would be nice to see within DMS.

I do use the media box for images now, and I've even added image widgets via the widgetized area too.  I think I was mostly referring to menu/nav on that.

#4 you mentioned here, I think I know what you're referring to.  I can drag and move the template areas like you say, but only horizontal, and not verical.

So, I can do it in and out on the sides in boxed layout, but I can't drag it up and down to add margin space above the header and/or footer.  Which is what I was referring to.  If there's a way, then I would like to know because currently I don't have that working.  And right now I'm trying to figure out how to add a custom code to basically bring down my header template area and give margin space so that it's not touching the top of the site.  I want to be able to see the background, but I can't figure it out, which is why I thought too, it would be nice to have the boxed layout move up and down too, and right now it does not, it only goes in and out on the sides.  Can you help with a code for bringing down my header so it doesn't touch the top of the site?  Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Think of each section of your site, as a separate module. So, to effectively build in DMS, you begin by dragging a full-width section area onto the page. Then, drag something like iboxes into it. Now, drag another full-width section area into the page, then something inside of that. This way, you can utilize the padding options in teh full-width area, which you can then manipulate to give padding above, and below something. These area, you can drag vertically, to change their positions. You can also use those full-width section areas, as a spacer. Drag one in, and set a minimum height of 100px to automatically apply a 100px space. 

This, you can do with your header ( can only guess can't see what you're referring too).

Hope this helps!

Posted · Report post

I was trying to upload a screenshot to show you what I was trying to do, but for some reason I can't upload it.  I don't know exactly what you mean just yet, but I will read it about 10x, and see if I can get it to sync in my head somehow...lol.

I do appreciate your time and help though.  I'll let you know if I figure it out.  Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Hey no worries. And I uber-suck at explaining things so I'm probably confusing you. lol. I recorded a quick screencast showing the vertical moving of full-width areas along with padding for just one area. Hopefully it makes sense!

http://screencast.com/t/fm9xZnEBq

Posted · Report post

Here's the link to another website of mine that I'm working on too, separate from my www.cindyjbryant.com site.

Here's the issue with my header http://flickrtographer.com/

As you'll see I have the image I want for my header uploaded both via the "header template area" and that looks weird, I don't know why and/or how to fix it with code.  I tried a few things and nothing worked.  Then, I uploaded the same header image using the masthead, and it looks the way it should.  But now I'm having to figure out how to overlap, and/or float the other boxes/sections I'm using for my logo image and menu nav.  Maybe you can offer me some advice now that you can see my dilema.

Thanks so much.  btw, the site looks bad, so don't judge me... :)

Posted · Report post

I'm jumping in here because I am a little disappointed that a lot of the Framework plugins and modules are missing in DMS and there equivalents seem to be in the store for $19. I understand from a developers standpoint you want to make some money for your efforts, but nobody comes to a drag and drop wp framework initially because they're an expert. I purchased Framework because it was the easiest and most flexible wp framework I could find and I decided to bite the bullet and focus on wp for web design... I'm noticing some strange omissions from the basic elements: No way to link (url) images in media box? The iBox being a circular container (called box?) What the... I'm scratching my head at some of this wondering how much it would cost me just to replace boxes or the slider that let me place mutiple images and control spacing within the plugin... the current slider allows for 1 image, no spacing no thumbnail control... Where are the tabs and accordion short codes? I'm sure a lot of stuff will be added in the near future but as it stands now the DMS is way less user friendly and capable for the average user than Framework... IMHO.       

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the screencast... I liked what you wrote. :)  It was awesome!

But, I don't know that I get it yet...lol.  I have done what you showed me, but what I mean is not sure that will work with what I'm trying to accomplish with my header.

Posted · Report post

Cindy, try using a full-width section area, and setting a bg image inside of it. Then, add your sections inside of that. This way you have your BG image with stuff floating on top. Know what I mean? Kinda? lol

Posted · Report post

dhrose

You're right about the media box, there's no current option to link that image.  And I do agree with you in that some of us, or at least myself are grasping some code, but not quite up to speed on it all.  So, the drop and drag is appealing to people like me.  I do have to say that so far it has been the easiest DMS to work with, over the several frameworks and themes I have purchased in the past.  And I own quite a few to say the least, and not just in Wordpress, but even with Joomla too.  So, based on my beginners knowledge and my experience so far using DMS, it has been the easiest.  Where I get lost a bit, and maybe it's because DMS is built with Less, that I'm finding it confusing to even know which class to give and then how to code custom css.  Even looking at dev tools to look id and classes up to then try to custom code, some have worked for me and others not so much.  which is why I would prefer more features added within the drop and drag dms panel, and because I originally had Pagelines and had so much that came with that now I feel like so much is no longer available to me, unless of course I spend more money at the store.  I may do so in due time, investing in some of sections and plugins by 3rd party devs, but for now I'll wait because some folks are complaining they can't even see their purchases in their panels yet.  

Next, I'm guessing you probably already know this as an option to link an image.  But, get your custom sidebar plugin installed, create areas, and also add an image widget that allows links, (i think most do)  and add that image widget via your widgetized section.  I know it's a lot of extra steps, but it's a way around the lack of link option with Media box at the moment.

But, I feel ya on these points.  I'm faithful Pagelines folks will listen, and add some cool functions and features to the DMS in the next upgrade.  At least I'm hoping so.

Posted · Report post

beardedavenger

Thanks so much for taking a look.  I'm not sure, but I'll attempt it.  I thought though if I switched to section area then I loose my background on the sides, right?

Let me see if I can try that and I'll let you know.  Seriously, I do appreciate your time and suggestions.  Thanks so much! :)

Posted · Report post

@beardedavenger

I tried your suggestion of adding the full-width section, and when I publish it the header still bumps up all the way to the top leaving zero margin space from header to top.
I also tried adding a full width area, adding the background texture image, and adding padding, then under that one added another full width and added my header image, but when I refreshed the sections it all bumped right back up to the top, leaving me without the header all together, and no space padding took place between header and top of site.  I'm not sure what else to do here, it's driving me crazy.  I'll keep searching for codes to see if I get something, but I'm wondering why my full-width sections even with images in it are bumping to the top, and not displaying at all after I refresh to see my changes?  I don't think it's supposed to be that way.

Posted · Report post

I think dms has a glich or something.  I added a custom code to the panel, and every time I delete it and save/publish, it's like I never did any delete.  It's back in the custom css panel again.  I've tried to delete that one line of code, but it won't delete.  So, my guess is that's not working as it should, and it seems like command + return keys are not affecting the panel at all either.  Any guesses?

Posted · Report post

Ya I've heard a few people say something about that. Try using the backup version in wp-admin, under PageLines-->DMS Tools.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'll try that and see.  Okay, good at least I know I'm not going totally crazy.  Maybe there's a glych with the padding header, or full width section not adding padding after refresh.  It's killing me that I can't figure it out yet...lol.  Thanks again for your help!