Mobile Menu not showing Sub Menu Items and IE8 Support

Question

Posted · Report post

Firstly, love DMS.  From the small amount I have played with it today it is truly amazing.

However, there are a few things that look a bit patchy at the mo to use it as a live site theme.

IE8 support is NIL!  Sub menus don't even show up.  No slider and iBoxes don't allign.

As for the menu itself, can't make the parent item clickable and on mobile the (child) sub items dont show.

Can we also get rid of the RSS feed icon?  A bit random!

Do you think that charging $15 for the Navable section to address the menu issues is a bit of a joke?  These would appear to be things that the DMS should just do.

Looking forward to getting to grips with DMS.

Stuart

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Okay, are we all in agreement that this particular complaint session is over?  Good. I'm resolving this and closing the topic.

Thanks for everyone's input and concerns.

Posted · Report post

Stuart,

We have built into DMS all the possible compatibility to make DSM work in IE8 that is humanly possible.  It's unfortunate, but IE8 doesn't cope well with some CSS. Unfortunately, after exhausting all the basic options that will make IE8 display the fundamentals, of a website, custom code sometimes doesn't work in IE8, particularly when written in LESS.   We can't modify an outdated browser that its own developers won't even support for this purpose.

You must remember that the slider, submenus and other elements use javascript, so please make sure IE8 has javascript enabled.  If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what to say.

You should be able to find a setting to hide the RSS icon or hide it with CSS. NavBar doesn't use that in DMS.

Do you think that charging $15 for the Navable section to address the menu issues is a bit of a joke?  These would appear to be things that the DMS should just do.

No, I don't.  Other menu plugins on third party sites are more expensive, so it's not a bit of a joke, but that comment.... well, I'll leave my opinion of that unspoken.  I'm happy to hear of your opinion of what DMS should do, but of course, you weren't developing it over the past year.  Please observe that Navable is a third party product, and no one has put a gun to anyone's head demanding they purchase it.

Happy to hear you're getting to grips with it. 

Posted · Report post

Rob,

Ya it is a joke because bootstrap (which is what DMS is built on) handles menus (mobile and otherwise) just fine by its self.  I have built countless websites with bootstrap and building responsive menus is a breeze and work perfectly on almost every device and browser I tested it on.  Again let me emphasis bootstrap does this out of the box, for free, no extra code libraries needed.  So with DMS, for which I pay $30 a month for, out of the box mobile menus are pointless because as mention above the do not support child menus.  It would be a simple fix to let you change the which menu is used for smaller sized screens in the settings somewhere but you cant even do that, furthermore you can't even hide the fixed navbar with the built in bootstrap devices size classes like hidden-phone.  I use bootstrap a lot and build wordpress themes on top of it so I know how easy it could be to fix this, for example you could have additional styling classes box for the fixed navbar settings like there is for almost everything else.  Overall I do like DMS but if I pay for something like DMS to save time I don't want to be nickeled and dimed just to get a usable responsive nav.  Ya I could take the time build it in myself but then what would I be paying for?  Also the doc's are quite good except for the fact that I can't find customize plugin, the "base child theme", or any of the other plugins mentioned in there.

Sincerely,

Matt

Posted · Report post

Not sure what you mean the Mobile Menu does support child menu items just not in a drop down. You go to Layout & Nav and in the Secondary Nav option, create a menu for your child menu items. I actually prefer this styling.

Also, I don't really see your argument, as you're complaining about IE8, if the choice was up to me I would abandon all IE8 support completely. Firstly, its a poor browser, anyone actually using it needs to wake up and just install Chrome. When creating a website, the thing I do is add a snippet of code to completely block IE6, 7 and 8 users from the site and inform them to install a proper browser.

Also, you're aware that sub menus have been completely removed from Bootstrap 3. https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/pull/6342#issuecomment-11594010

Whether or not this has changed I don't know.

Posted · Report post

mcheramie you are right, the navbar doesn't support child menu items on mobile. I'm sure this is just an oversight, and I believe this issue is logged in GH. And yes, you are right, Bootstrap by default handles IE8; however PageLines has a pretty modified version of this, and the navbar, the mobile part, is custom. AFAIK, PageLines offers *partial* support for IE8.

Also, Bootstrap 3, yes, has removed submenus, but PL will not be moving to Bootstrap 3. There are SOOO MANY changes it would break all sites in existence if they upgraded.

http://nickhaskins.com/2012/12/steer-clear-bootstrap-3-0/

Lastly, Navable selling for $15 isn't a joke. I have no affiliation with PageLines, and this section was released 6 months ago so it wasn't created to "address the issue." If anything, the new navbar used my section as inspiration.   ;)

Posted · Report post

beardedavenger"] I did purchase navable and it works great but I hope your right that it is just an oversight that DMS does not support child menus with the navbar on smaller screens.  @[member="Danny you are right on all three counts and I agree with Otto sub-menus make things hard for example my current situation however I build what the client wants, so if they insist on sub-menus I give them sub menus.  One thing about your first point, yes you can add to the nav by designating a secondary menu but now I just have 2 menus on mobile nav.  Look all I am saying is a little bit more control of the navbar would be nice, the whole reason I am trying to use DMS is so when I hand over a site to a client they can make changes to things like navigation easily without me needing to custom code things for them.  

Sincerely,

Matt