Photo
- - - - -

Need a small modification to my gallery using NextGen and Carousel

NextGen Carousel

Best Answer Rob , 02 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi Stephen,

I don't quite know how to even approach this, :(

If you're on Framework, you can copy the carousel section from wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections to your desktop.  If you've installed Base Theme you will have wp-content/themes/pagelines-template/theme in your site.  There's a sections folder there, where you can upload the carousel section to clone it.

Now, you can edit the section.php file to add an image link to the dynamic link in the code.  This will let you use some image indicating there's a PDF file. However, the problem then comes from the actual link created.  NextGen or our carousel will deliver a link to the post, not to a PDF.  Since it's a variable, this link will change from post to post, making it necessary to add some custom coding so the lnk changes with the post.

Done wrong, this could well break your site.

One easier option... Put a link on each post, at the top of your text, to download the related PDF.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles / Orange County California
  • Framework Version:2.3.8

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

I've got the NextGen Gallery plugin installed and using it with the carousel feature and it looks good. However, I'd like to do some minor modifications. 

I'm looking for a way to add a button that when clicked it would download a pdf spec sheet. This button can either be below the thumbnail or under the image during the slideshow. I'm including two rough of where I'd like to take this. 

btw: I'm not married to NextGen, but it seems to be the most popular and it's compatible with the carousel feature. 

I realized this is a bit advanced and I don't mind doing the work, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction? 

1. Is NextGen the best plugin or does anyone know of a better gallery plug-in for what I'm trying to do?
  2. I've seen some plug-ins that extend NextGen - maybe someone knows of a better plug-in for my plug-in?
  3. Or is there a different direction I should consider?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:15 PM   Best Answer

Hi Stephen,

I don't quite know how to even approach this, :(

If you're on Framework, you can copy the carousel section from wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections to your desktop.  If you've installed Base Theme you will have wp-content/themes/pagelines-template/theme in your site.  There's a sections folder there, where you can upload the carousel section to clone it.

Now, you can edit the section.php file to add an image link to the dynamic link in the code.  This will let you use some image indicating there's a PDF file. However, the problem then comes from the actual link created.  NextGen or our carousel will deliver a link to the post, not to a PDF.  Since it's a variable, this link will change from post to post, making it necessary to add some custom coding so the lnk changes with the post.

Done wrong, this could well break your site.

One easier option... Put a link on each post, at the top of your text, to download the related PDF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NextGen, Carousel