Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new Managed Hosting provider - any ideas/experience you'd like to share?

hosting suppliers managed hosting ideas

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bleuy

bleuy

Advanced Member

• Members

• 93 posts
  • LocationHampshire
  • Framework Version:Developer

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi All

Totally frustrated with my existing provider (who I'm able to get a decent website load time out of) I'm looking for a new hosting provider.  I've read the other forum details but they are a little out of date and I don't really want to go down the VPS or Dedicated Server Route yet.  I've read their blurb, and looked at reviews, but as I use Pagelines to build my websites, I wanted to get your UP TO DATE experiences.  Key things for me are:-

Managed (I'm no techi)

24 x 7 support

Load times (quick or at least better than 4 secs)

Uptime (they all say 99.9% but is this a reality)

Cost effective

What I have looked at:

Hostwinds

123-Reg

Go Daddy

WPEngine

Welcome your input :0) 

• assomibatrifs likes this

#2 PaulM

PaulM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationWicklow, Ireland
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I use wpengine and https://www.zippykid.com/ Both have similar offerings in terms of architecture and availability

Cost wise from 29/mth for wpengine and 25/mth for zippy.  

If you were someway technically inclined I would recommend using digitalocean or any similar VPS and implement LEMP. Nginx rocks for performance and with added Varnish (Caching) load times of less than 2 seconds can be achieved. (Of course this depends on the page optimization as well)

Just got this from wpmu  http://wpmu.org/web-...ho-is-the-best/

Edited by PaulM, 01 August 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#3 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2218 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi bluey

My experience with "shared host" GoDaddy is good, i have some of my websites (only for fun without any profit) and they run without any plugin cache. You can see for example arte-baires.com.ar

The price is "ridiculous" u$s 100 for year to all web you want, the support is very good 24x7, the Managed is very easy, 

But this is not recommendable, because

1. This is a shared host, they said that you will have no limit to memory RAM, this is not true, if a lot of web in the server that you have the web are using RAM in the same time, they limit your memory.

2. They have enable the "posix function" 

So if you want a "excellence server" for work donĀ“t use GoDaddy.

;)

#4 Blackice

Blackice

• Members

• 25 posts
  • LocationUSA | Northern New Jersey
  • Framework Version:2.4.4 | DMS

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

For managed hosting I would go with WPengine especially if your website is for profit. Their second tier pricing gives you 10 installs and each each install can have its own SSL cert and or be a mixture of multisite installs. I have 2 clients that i manage on WPEngine. I would also look at flywheel. Did some limited  testing during their beta period. No upfront complaints about their pricing structure.

Just my 2 cents.

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17945 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Although I don't use them, I have tried them out and I have to say FlyWheel is awesome and would highly recommend them. Most of our store devs use FlyWheel and the demo site I have is incredibly fast.

They're currently in beta but if you contact them and say you're a PageLines DMS user, they may give you access quicker.

• dreamsight likes this

#6 bleuy

bleuy

Advanced Member

• Members

• 93 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks folks, always great to share opinions/ideas - might check out FlyWheel, one of my clients is already using WPEngine, which are great, although they work on North American time for support issues which does present a slight problem for me

#7 dreamsight

dreamsight

Advocate

• Members

• 261 posts
  • LocationCheltenham

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Think I'll have a look at Flywheel as well. We've got over 250 sites on shared hosting scatted around, OVH, Zen, Fasthost, Rackshack, Webfusion, Godaddy, Planet and 1&1, using our own MySQL servers. Also a few dedicated servers with more sites on. They all have pro's and con's but Zen and 1&1 are ok.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17945 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I used 1&1 about 10 years ago and had nothing, but problems. I wouldn't recommend them at all. I have been surprised at how good FlyWheel is to be honest and would recommend them.

#9 dreamsight

dreamsight

Advocate

• Members

• 261 posts
  • LocationCheltenham

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Already contacted Flywheel, name-dropped you Danny :)

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Great.

#11 yemoonyah

yemoonyah

• Members

• 147 posts
  • Framework Version:always the latest

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

WP Engine will soon have 24/7 chat support

#12 devin32

devin32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi All

Totally frustrated with my existing provider (who I'm able to get a decent website load time out of) I'm looking for a new hosting provider.  I've read the other forum details but they are a little out of date and I don't really want to go down the VPS or Dedicated Server Route yet.  I've read their blurb, and looked at reviews, but as I use Pagelines to build my websites, I wanted to get your UP TO DATE experiences.  Key things for me are:-

Managed (I'm no techi)

24 x 7 support

Load times (quick or at least better than 4 secs)

Uptime (they all say 99.9% but is this a reality)

Cost effective

What I have looked at:

Hostwinds

123-Reg

Go Daddy

WPEngine

Welcome your input :0) 

I will suggest you 9Cubehosting.com for reliable hosting in Linux platform. I have personally experienced with them. They will satisfy all the requirements you have mentioned.

#13 steyiven

steyiven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

If our hosting provider is not good then it would be very difficult to work properly. Go for Hosting provider which provides reliable service.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hosting, suppliers, managed hosting, ideas