8 replies to this topic

#1 peter88

peter88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

i have another question. How can i change the hero nav for mobile, tablet devices because the nav shows all levels at once and i can't use the arrows...

Thanks for help

Greetings

Peter

#2 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 233 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi @peter88,

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Yes in the mobile view, if you have chosen 'hover' for your dropdown trigger, the menu will show all levels fully expanded, so the menu items with arrows will be fully functioning links.

If you wish to be able to expand collapse menu levels in the mobile view, you will want to use the 'click' dropdown trigger instead.   A different behavior, but it sounds like that's what you want.

Let me know if that works for you,

Evan

#3 peter88

peter88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hi @peter88,

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Yes in the mobile view, if you have chosen 'hover' for your dropdown trigger, the menu will show all levels fully expanded, so the menu items with arrows will be fully functioning links.

If you wish to be able to expand collapse menu levels in the mobile view, you will want to use the 'click' dropdown trigger instead.   A different behavior, but it sounds like that's what you want.

Let me know if that works for you,

Evan

Hi Evan,

sry it was my mistake I have set the option to "click" and it works fine.

thx for your quick help

Peter

#4 peter88

peter88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi Evan,

i have another question about the hero nav. If choose the "click" option how can i set the normal subnav to display on hover and not listing the parent element in the dropdown again (on desktop resolution)?

Could add a new behaviour or setting for this?

thank you so much

Peter

#5 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 233 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi @peter88,

By normal subnav do you mean the dropdown menus?  

The behavior you're describing is the hover dropdown trigger.  It is not currently possible to use different modes for mobile/desktop views.

It's possible I may add an option in the future for the dropdown trigger for mobile, but that would only apply when viewed on a real mobile device, not just a responsive viewport change.

#6 peter88

peter88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hi Evan,

yes by normal subnav i mean the dropdown menus?

The problem is that in mobile resolution all menu items are open so i have a long list of menu items which are shown :(

Is there anything I can do to show on dropdowns on desktop resolution and to show click navigation on mobile resolution?

thx

Peter

#7 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 233 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Currently your best option is to use the click dropdown trigger.  This is currently the only way to get what you want for the mobile resolution.

It sounds like you want your dropdown menus to pop out on hover though in the normal desktop resolution?  This is the compromise you would have to choose.

As an alternative, you could use Hero Nav for your top-level navigation, and Sidekick for your secondary/sub levels.  Sidekick specializes in using space efficiently with it's different behaviors and the two are designed to work together!

#8 peter88

peter88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Ok and is there another way that I could customize it for example? The problem is that we want our dropdown menus to pop out on hover :) in normal desktop resolution.

Is it for example possible to override the section in the child theme?

thx for help

#9 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 233 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

The problem is that you want hover drop functionality on desktop resolution, and click-open sub-menus in mobile.

Your top level menu items with dropdowns will not be usable links if clicking them toggles a dropdown.  That's the reason that the two modes differ in the mobile view, primarily because they can't work the same way.

The only possible solution I can think of would be to add an option that allows you to choose the trigger mode you want to use when viewed on a mobile device, where you would then be able to set that to click.  That would force mobile viewers to get the click navigation you want, regardless of resolution.

I will most likely add an option like this to a future release.  When that will come is hard to say.

About customizing the section, that is always possible, but you're on your own there.  The only thing you could do in a child theme is create a template.hero-nav.php which would override the section_template only.  That wouldn't be enough for what you want though.  You could move the section from it's store-installed location into your child theme's sections folder where it would then be safe from updates.  You could then modify it to do whatever you want!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hero Nav