Photo

Getting rid of boxes on blog and post pages?

boxes blog post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jweinberger

jweinberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hi:

Maybe I"m missing something really really obvious, but....

My site is set up so that the main page is not the blog page, but a general information page.

I have set up the pagelines lite theme so that I have a row (set) of boxes on the main page. But I don't want this row of boxes to appear on the blog page or on the individual post pages.

I have managed to take it off the blog page. But I cannot find a way to remove it from the individual post pages, other than going to each and every post and doing so manually in the post-specific options.

This is not a viable solution, as I have lots and lots of posts and don't want to spend weeks doing this one-at-a-time.

Is there a setting, form, etc. that will allow me to tell Pagelines not to display the boxes on a blog post page?

Any help or direction is much appreciated!

btw: my site is (in testing) http://stage.dsthree.com, I'm on WP 3.5.2 and pagelines lite.

Thanks!

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17636 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hi, The issue you have is that you have added the Boxes section to your Header Template Area, this template area is a global template, meaning that it is universal across your site. You have two options, either goto Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options > Blog Page and check the box for the Boxes section to hide it or remove the Boxes section from your Header Template Area and add the Boxes to your Actual Page Template or Content Area.

#3 jweinberger

jweinberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Danny:

Thanks!

I tried the first approach (the one I really need)  several time, and it failed. I had already checked the box to not display the boxes on the blog page, but they were still displaying. I assume this is a bug in pagelines?

The second option works (removing the boxes from the site-wide header and adding it to the page template). It also creates a lot more work for me to remove it manually from most of my pages (the boxes are only shown on the front/home page). But if that's the only way pagelines can handle it, then I guess I can do it....

If there are better ways to do this, please let me know. Also, you might want to add the bug to your list of things to fix...

Thanks for your help!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Some of the Meta settings don't work in Lite Edition.

Use the Template to remove the boxes.  It's the one good way you know it will be removed.

Also, if you have a cache plugin, clear it after making any change, as the cache it creates will stop you from seeing implemented changes.

#5 jweinberger

jweinberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Rob:

Thanks! I did use the template the way Danny suggested and it worked pretty much as I wanted. And thanks for the reminder about caching.

I am seriously concerned about your statement that "Some of the Meta settings don't work in Lite Edition." - many settings are greyed out and can't be clicked, but I have to assume that anything that's available to click (not greyed-out) works as it would in the paid edition.

In fact, part of this is determining whether it's worth paying for pagelines, or if it will even work for me. If I can't even use the limited set of features that are enabled in the free edition, how am I to make that determination?

Is there a list of what, exactly and specifically, is available in the free edition and what is disabled from the paid version?

Thanks

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

No, not everything greyed out will work in Lite as it would in Paid. Then there would be no difference between the paid and free versions. 

If you want Framework that is fully functional, it should be a paid version.  I'm not sure if we're going to resume selling it but I'm doubtful.

The way to remove boxes from the templates is to go thought each template, looking for Boxes section under Active Sections and simply move it to Available. There are a lot of levels, and templates to look at, but Danny was kind enough to point you in a direction.

Support for Lite is extremely limited.  The docs are here: http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

#7 jweinberger

jweinberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks. I have been unable to find the docs, so that link is helpful.

And I assume there's no support for the free version - only these forums.

I think you misunderstood what I said, also. My assumption is that everything that is **NOT** greyed out in the free version actually works correctly and in the same way that it would work in the paid version. The difference between the versions, I assume, is all the stuff that **IS** greyed out - that's what I'd pay for, if my test of the free version works.

You said originally that some of the stuff that is **NOT** greyed out in the free version doesn't work. That is a point of serious concern. If it's only available in paid, then it must be greyed out. If it's not greyed out, then it must work. Can you either clarify your statement or provide me with a list of the "available" features that don't work?

(And the paid version is now something you guys are calling "DMS" - I can't tell how this differs....)

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

DMS is a totally different product.   The free version works, but includes none of the standards of the basic paid version, like sliders, columns, ibox, etc.

The Docs for PageLines Framework are at http://support.pagelines.me/docs

You're right, I did misunderstand, and you're correct. Apologies.

Support for the free versions is limited.

#9 jweinberger

jweinberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Rob:

Thanks and no worries - want to make sure I'm not wasting your time :)

I'm trying out the free version with some intent to move to either the paid Framework (is this still offered?) or DMS. Is that not a reasonable migration path or experiment? Is there a better way to approach this kind of test?

Thanks,

Jeff

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Jeff,

No problem at all. Glad to help.  I think your strategy is a good one.  It's always best to test new products to see if they work for you.  Framework however is no longer available for purchase. Only DMS.

The best way, I think, would be to create a development site (or a subdomain). Migrate your data into WP there and activate DMS. You will see vast differences, but as you go through the docs, and make changes, you'll be very surprised how easy it is.  When you subscribe, you'll get 40 new sections that you can use and will fall in love with the capabilities of DMS.  The key sections are described in the docs.

I hope this helps!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boxes, blog, post