Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Masthead <H1> Tags

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Pageliners, 

I would like to remove the H1 tags from Mastheads, but maintain the size of the title font. The reason for this is because I am using multiple mastheads per page and apparently it's bad SEO to have more than one H1 tag. Besides, I'd like to use those header tags in my content. 

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 answer to this question

Posted · Report post

Kevin

This concept that more than one H1 tag on a page is somehow bad for SEO is one of those silly Internet myths that make absolutely no sense. 

Most serious developers know that top ranked pages often use multiple h1 tags to achieve pre-eminence in listing, so the opposite of the myth is the reality.   You're listening to disinformation, not real information. 

You shouldn't remove multiple H1 tage, but embrace them - hug them, give 'em a big kiss.  They can actually build the level of search engine success you have.

Now, one thing is true.  In numbers, h1 tags will confuse spiders about which is the most important content they hold.  But the search engines do not dismiss extra h1 tagged content. 

Go ahead and use the Mastehead half a dozen times and you may actually see SEO improvement.