Flipper Customization

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can someone help me with an answer to a stupid question?

I'm trying to get this flipper to display only posts from a single category, what should I have in these two fields "Meta Key" and "Meta Key Value?" How about for multiple categories? 

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9di2r39wrz7sno/screenshot.png

Thank you! 

Edited by mikethomastv

17 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hey Mike,

You can put whatever you want in those fields but they need to correspond to the custom values that are also in the posts you want to showcase. For example I can tell you how I accomplished this:

1. Open up in Edit mode one of the posts you'd like to show in the Flipper and look for the section titled "Custom Fields". 
  2. You're going to want to click "Enter New" and then give it a name (in my example, I called it home-feature)
  3. Then, put it any value you want that will help you identify what that post is, how it corresponds to the Field name (in my case since this was a recipe post, I called it food)
  4. Click "Add Custom Field", save the post and you should be good to go as long as you enter the corresponding items in the spot you showed in your screenshot. 

You'll need to do that for each post you'd like to see appear in the Flipper.

Hope that helps!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

myuntangledmedia thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.  

Makes perfect sense, and has worked!  I wasn't sure if there was a way for me to populate this flipper simply by category name, but this is actually much cleaner for my needs. 

Thanks again!

Cheers,

MT

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome mikethomastv - so glad I was able to help, still figuring a lot of DMS out myself!

Posted · Report post

Hi Jacob,

Thank you so much for helping with this!

Posted · Report post

Hey Mike,

You can put whatever you want in those fields but they need to correspond to the custom values that are also in the posts you want to showcase. For example I can tell you how I accomplished this:

1. Open up in Edit mode one of the posts you'd like to show in the Flipper and look for the section titled "Custom Fields". 
  2. You're going to want to click "Enter New" and then give it a name (in my example, I called it home-feature)
  3. Then, put it any value you want that will help you identify what that post is, how it corresponds to the Field name (in my case since this was a recipe post, I called it food)
  4. Click "Add Custom Field", save the post and you should be good to go as long as you enter the corresponding items in the spot you showed in your screenshot. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for this. I can't see custom fields anywhere in the edit post screen. Is this for pagelines dms?

Posted · Report post

Thanks for this. I can't see custom fields anywhere in the edit post screen. Is this for pagelines dms?

Hi ppotent. This is for DMS and most likely the problem you are having is that the custom fields option isn't selected to be shown in your post edit screen. If you go into one of your posts to edit, on the very top right corner of your screen (right under the part that says "howdy") you'll see a dropdown menu called "screen options". Click on that and make sure "custom fields" is checked off to be shown. That should probably take care of the issue for you.

Posted · Report post

Hi ppotent. This is for DMS and most likely the problem you are having is that the custom fields option isn't selected to be shown in your post edit screen. If you go into one of your posts to edit, on the very top right corner of your screen (right under the part that says "howdy") you'll see a dropdown menu called "screen options". Click on that and make sure "custom fields" is checked off to be shown. That should probably take care of the issue for you.

Hi Jacob, Thanks for this. I've done as you suggested and there is no custom fields box to check, only author, categories, tags, comments, date, featured image.??

Posted · Report post

ppotent

Try this here

screen.jpg

Posted · Report post

ppotent - what version of WordPress are you on? Also you want to make sure you have a post open when you click on the screen options - for instance if you are browsing your categories or your list of posts when you click on that dropdown you will see a different set of options, many fewer than if you are in a post. 

Hi Jacob, Thanks for this. I've done as you suggested and there is no custom fields box to check, only author, categories, tags, comments, date, featured image.??

Posted · Report post

Hey Mike,

Hope that helps!

Brilliant ;) !

I actually used the Types plugin Custom Fields here, and forgot the WP core Custom Fields/meta data!

Great combo with
Custom Post Types supported by Flipper.

Your tip deserves a few lines in PageLines DMS doc, IMO ;) !

Regards.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

ppotent - what version of WordPress are you on? Also you want to make sure you have a post open when you click on the screen options - for instance if you are browsing your categories or your list of posts when you click on that dropdown you will see a different set of options, many fewer than if you are in a post. 

Eureka!! Thanks for this. I didn't realise I had to be actually editing a post in order to see these...Thanks to everyone for their help.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

myuntangledmedia thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.  

Makes perfect sense, and has worked!  I wasn't sure if there was a way for me to populate this flipper simply by category name, but this is actually much cleaner for my needs. 

Thanks again!

Cheers,

MT

Which begs an answer to the statement "if there was a way to populate this flipper simply by category name"

Is there?

The More Info section of the Flipper Meta box suggests so, though I've not gotten anything to work there yet.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Alton

Posted · Report post

Hi Alton and all,

There wasn't at the time of your asking but the latest version of DMS (0.9.7) has updated functionality to populate the Flipper by category. Look for the new dropdown right under the Meta Key Value section http://d.pr/i/Zo9y

Which begs an answer to the statement "if there was a way to populate this flipper simply by category name"

Is there?

The More Info section of the Flipper Meta box suggests so, though I've not gotten anything to work there yet.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Alton

Posted · Report post

Question on this, when it comes to the post pics, is there a way to keep them all the same size using Flipper ?

Posted · Report post

Hi J Powers,

The flipper is pulling the pics from the featured image (often called thumbnail) that you upload for each post, so the easiest way to get them to be a uniform size is to upload a uniform size for each post.

Posted · Report post

Hi J Powers,

The flipper is pulling the pics from the featured image (often called thumbnail) that you upload for each post, so the easiest way to get them to be a uniform size is to upload a uniform size for each post.

Thats what I was thinking needed to be done, thanks 

Posted · Report post

That works for me.  Also, uniform featured image size keeps browsers consistent in their presentation of thumbnails.