PageLines Breaks in Transition

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi PageLines Staff,

I have put together my new website with PageLines DMS on this staging website: http://kevinpaffrath.staging.wpengine.com/. I finished the staging and went ahead and transitioned it to my live webpage: www.meetkevin.com. The website initially transitioned without a hitch. However, when I logged into Wordpress to edit the page, it crashed into the picture attached. 

cl6g.png

I noticed that, despite being "Pro," the Pagelines software was scattered everywhere. When I scrolled down, I saw Pagelines sections and images listed, all of the store items were listed, and other text was scattered everywhere throughout the broken page. When I logged out, the problem went away. 

Then, I noticed -- in a sea of broken Pagelines text -- that Pagelines didn't recognize me as being "Pro." In an attempt to save my website quickly, I purchased the multi-user license and activated my page. That was a mistake. It made the problem worse. Now, rather than the problem only occurring when I was logged into Wordpress, it was occurring on different computers, on private browsing mode, everywhere. I had to revert back to my old webpage. 

So here I am. I have my new DMS Pagelines webpage stuck in staging here and I have my old 2.0 Pagelines webpage. I can't seem to transition them without a blowup. 

By the way, I use WPEngine as my host.

Has anyone had this similar problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 person likes this

15 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Note: When I attempt to upload the DMS Theme directly to my existing webpage (not the staged one), the theme breaks the webpage as well. Perhaps there's a problem on the original end?

Posted · Report post

I'm having this same exact problem and it seems to coincide with this post here: http://www.pagelines.com/coming-back-online/. My editor was working fine on Friday (7/26) but when I came back to it today, it's not working.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Note, I'm not using WP Engine. It's a self hosted site.

Posted · Report post

I'm having this same exact problem and it seems to coincide with this post here: http://www.pagelines.com/coming-back-online/. My editor was working fine on Friday (7/26) but when I came back to it today, it's not working.

Hmm. When you say your "editor was working fine," I'm guessing you're referring to the Pagelines pop-up editor? That makes sense. Mine doesn't work either. In addition to that broken editor, does your website break?

Posted · Report post

My website doesn't break until I sign in. Any visitors to the site won't notice a problem. When I sign in the front-end drag and drop editor doesn't work. It looks similar to kevinpaffrath.

Posted · Report post

I suspect that you used the DMS-Dev.zip for your installations.

If that's the case, please go to www.pagelines.com.  Enter your email address and get the dms.zip file. 

Now, FTP into your site (or use your normal file manager). Navigate to wp-content/themes and see if you find DMS-Dev as a folder. If so, please delete it.

Go to your browser, logged in as admin and go to Appearance > Themes and click "Install Themes" from the top.  Select the Upload link (in the small menu).  Browse to the new dms.zip file and upload, install and activate.

Now, you should see everything normally. If you don't, you may simply need to update your permalinks without change.

Posted · Report post

I definitely use the dms.zip from the home page and then later signed into my pro account. I've double checked my server and the folder is dms, not the developer folder.

I'll change my permalinks but I'm surprised you can't change the permalinks. At one point it was working fine even thought the permalinks were changed.

Posted · Report post

Permalinks were changed back to the default setting on it's still not working.

Posted · Report post

I used dms.zip as well. I am not well versed on the tech-verbiage though, so I'm not sure what the reference to permalinks entails.

Posted · Report post

Rob: here's another example: When I ignore the transition / staging site that works fine and simply go to my old webpage, that has no changes or any DMS artifacts on it, then upload the dms.zip file and activate the theme, the website breaks. It's almost as if the dms.zip file and theme is what's breaking my original page :-(

Posted · Report post

I've alerted our developers to this issue.

Posted · Report post

I've alerted our developers to this issue.

Got it. What are your thoughts on a timeframe for the turnaround?

Posted · Report post

No idea.

This could well be a simple plugin conflict or even a conflict with some Chrome add-on.

Posted · Report post

I believe I may have found a clue to what's going on. I discovered that a change I made to the site made it break on the blog page. I deleted the generic "Hello World!" post and hadn't yet created a new post. Therefore, there weren't any posts at all in the database. When I restored the "Hello World!" post, the front-end editing came back. You may want to look into this bug in the post-loop for the blog page.

Posted · Report post

I've found that my site works fine when I'm not logged into Wordpress. As soon as I login and I intend to use the front-end editor, the site breaks. I use Google PageSpeed as my CDN. They have a setting to reset the cache. Every time I make an edit, I need to refresh the cache or else the site breaks. Yet, it still only breaks on my end while logged in. 

Weird.