How to integrate Typekit fonts?

Question

Posted · Report post

In the previous PL, I would add a typekit script in the Custom Code section of the Site Options.  

How do you recommend we do this for DMS?  

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

In DMS the process is exactly the same.  You'll login to your Admin level dashboard.  There, you click PageLines > Site Options just as you did in Framework.

Then, select Typography, and scroll down. The option to add TypeKit header code is right there, exactly as it was.

Please refer to our Docs at http://docs.pagelines.com.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Happy to read that DMS supports Typekit.

I just bought a DMS Pro subscription. I've looked in my Pagelines Admin section where I only find 'Dashboard' and 'DMS Tools'. When I look in the DMS editor under 'Typography' I can only find 'Google Fonts' implementation. Can you elaborate a bit more as to where I can insert my Typekit code?

Thanks, Jan

Posted · Report post

Rob I guess it's very busy with the DMS launch, but can you enlighten me about Typekit implementation. The Docs didn't reveal enything.

Thanks, Jan

Posted · Report post

Hi Jan,

We found that not a lot of users actually used TypeKit or Cufon fonts, so the options we removed, as most users were using Google webfonts.

If you wish to implement Typekit, you simply need to follow their instructions. http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/786466-using-typekit-with-a-self-hosted-wordpress-site

In the previous version the TypeKit field simply added the code to your header for you.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your explanation. It's unfortunate that it got removed since Google Fonts are too limited for most graphic designers for making business websites. Most professional businesses buy official fonts for there identities to have a consistent look in both analog and digital media. Google fonts are digital so I'm surprised that so few people use Typekit. I know Cufon wasn't too popular but Typekit would be a great addition to DMS. I hope you will consider implementing it again in DMS.

Changing theme files wouldn't have my preference. Is there a way in which I can insert this code via a child theme or a custom code?

Hopefully you have a suggestion.

Jan

Posted · Report post

janpeeters, I agree on the removal of the facility to add typekit - google just doesn't work as well.

Did you get this resolved?

Is there a way to do it using a child theme - if so, i would love to hear how?

Thank you.

Posted · Report post

quintinm all you need to do is add the typekit javascript to the Custom Script section in the DMS dashboard.

But you won't be able to choose fonts in the Fonts section like you do for Google fonts.  You'll need to use the style.css in the child theme.  

That's how I do it.

Posted · Report post

webmktco, i tried that, but after i save and refresh, they are no longer there...

very frustrating...

I have this code that I have found, but not sure if this is correct.
Do I add the following to the functions.php file in my child theme folder?
I would replace the red with my specific code from typekit.

// Add TypeKit <head> Code
function childtheme_typekit() { ?>

<script type="text/javascript" src="//use.typekit.net/t12xau3f.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">try{Typekit.load();}catch(e){}</script>

<?php }
add_action( 'wp_head', 'childtheme_typekit' );

Does that sound correct, do i past this in my functions.php file?

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

quintinm,

You add the Typekit js here:

2014-08-01_10-33-27.png

Posted · Report post

As webmktco mentioned, you add the Typekit scripts to the DMS Custom Scripts option via the Toolbar. If you want to add scripts to your child theme, then you're going to need to enqueue them via the WordPress function, you can find more information here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script