Photo
- - - - -

Boxes in the Sidebar

Best Answer Danny , 01 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

If you want to do this in PageLines Framework, the simplest method would be to create a child section of Boxes. To do this, simply download a fresh copy of PageLines Framework to your desktop, extract the .zip and navigate to pagelines/sections/ and find the Boxes section. Now open up your FTP client and upload the Boxes section folder to /wp-content/themes/child theme folder/sections/ Once added, this will over power the default Boxes section found in your /pagelines/ folder. Now open the section.php file in /wp-content/themes/child theme folder/sections/boxes/ folder and you will see the following lines code:

<?php
/*
	Section: Boxes
	Author: PageLines
	Author URI: http://www.pagelines.com
	Description: Creates boxes and box layouts
	Class Name: PageLinesBoxes
	Workswith: templates, main, header, morefoot
	Cloning: true
*/
Replace with the following:
 <?php
/*
	Section: Boxes
	Author: PageLines
	Author URI: http://www.pagelines.com
	Description: Creates boxes and box layouts
	Class Name: PageLinesBoxes
	Workswith: templates, main, header, morefoot, sidebar1, sidebar2, sidebar_wrap
	Cloning: true
*/
Then save the file, this change will allow the Boxes section to load in your Sidebar areas and SIdebar Wrap. Now just configure the Boxes set you wish to be used in your Sidebar. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sethoof

sethoof

Advanced Member

• Members

• 93 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Really really glad you guys got the forum back up - the attack last week was killing me!!

I am trying to take advantage of the many boxes that I have made on my pagelines site.  I am basically trying to load some of my box groups dynamically by page.  I have found a widget (Advanced Text Widget) that lets me put relational php that can give me specific output by page, but I am not sure how to call the box groups.  Can anyone help me figure out how to call a box group? 

<?php

if ( is_page( 'ABOUT US' ) ) {
        // our ABOUT US page.
        CALL BOXES group HERE, 1 per row, random, max 5 boxes.

}

?>

Thanks in advance for your help.

best,

seth

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Seth,

Are you using DMS?

If so, we have a section called iBox.  Have you tried that?

Alternatively, there's a plugin called WP-Boxer or Boxer, which uses shortcode to create boxes that it called content blocks.

I don't think boxes really belong (personal opinion) in a sidebar per se.  But, if you want to use them, it may be best to use one of these options.

#3 sethoof

sethoof

Advanced Member

• Members

• 93 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

I am not using DMS as I just started my design a couple weeks before you launched it. I am not a great web designer, but all I want is for a mix of short headlines with images to load dynamically.  Not necessarily boxes per se.  But The boxes on Pagelines, give me the structure to do the headlines and small images in a sorted manner.  I have installed and played with WPboxer, but I have to create a whole new set of content boxes rather than leverage teh boxes I have already created in PAgelines.  Is it not possible to call the boxes using php into the sidebar?

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:41 PM   Best Answer

If you want to do this in PageLines Framework, the simplest method would be to create a child section of Boxes. To do this, simply download a fresh copy of PageLines Framework to your desktop, extract the .zip and navigate to pagelines/sections/ and find the Boxes section. Now open up your FTP client and upload the Boxes section folder to /wp-content/themes/child theme folder/sections/ Once added, this will over power the default Boxes section found in your /pagelines/ folder. Now open the section.php file in /wp-content/themes/child theme folder/sections/boxes/ folder and you will see the following lines code:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Replace with the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Then save the file, this change will allow the Boxes section to load in your Sidebar areas and SIdebar Wrap. Now just configure the Boxes set you wish to be used in your Sidebar.