A Couple of Blog Links Missing

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm having trouble with two links on my new DMS blog. One is the "Comment" link. It is a permalink to the post only and does not go the comment box, even when the comment link is on the permalink page.

The second is that I can't find the link at the bottom of the main page that links to a page with older posts.

Both are same in latest Safari and Chrome. I'm at slowreads.com.

I read through the new DMS docs page and didn't find answers there. I'm new to PageLines, having spent a lot of time using Genesis Framework. On what occasions, if any, should I use forum entries outside of the DMS forum category? Thank you so much!

Peter

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Peter,

You're publishing full posts to the blog page. Comment forms are never included in the blog page's post listings.  They're essentially reserved for the actual post itself. The Add Comment link is actually trying to take someone to the post, to add the comment.

If you login as admin to your WordPress dashboard, please find PageLines. If you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop, click on Content Area, then find the Blog tab.  At the bottom of your screen, you'll see Available sections and Active sections.  You'll see Post/Page Pagination; make sure you drag that to the bottom of the Active sections.  Make sure it's not hidden anywhere.  That will give you pagination to previous posts if you have reached more than the number of posts set up in your Settings.  So, if you have 9 posts but have settings that tell WP to have 10 posts show on the page, there's no link back to previous posts and no pagination. If you have 11 posts and the number displayed is 10, then yes, it will show pagination.

I hope that makes sense.

Posted · Report post

Rob, thanks. I got to Dashboard > PageLines, but I can't find drag & drop there. Instead, I find this:

DashboardPageLines.jpeg

I couldn't find a blog tab there. I thought you might have meant the main editing part of DMS, but when I clicked the blog material there, I couldn't find a blog tab there, either.

Thanks again for your help!

Peter

Posted · Report post

Peter when you click PageLines (the dark grey tab shown in your pic), does it drop down with anything below it?

Posted (edited) · Report post

No. I clicked the PageLines button several times in both the menu's expanded and collapsed positions. (Internet is working fine.)

I'm using the latest update of Chrome on the latest update of OSX platform (10.8.4). I'm using James Giroux's PageLines Academy Child Theme 1.0 with PageLines DMS first installed. I'm running WordPress 3.5.2. I'm at slowreads.com.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by PeterStephens

Posted · Report post

Still not present. What capabilities does that mean I'm missing? Is anyone else missing them? Will there be a DMS update soon so I can have them, too?

Posted · Report post

I found this information in the Docs pages (http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/dashboard-account):

Account

The Account panel which is located in Visiual Editor Toolbar → Account, includes three tabs.

• The Welcome! tab provides a simple congratulations message for using PageLines DMS and a getting started video.
  • The Your Account tab allows you to enter your PageLines account details. This activates the Premium product features and any store products you may have purchased. It also allows you to receive automatic updates and easily install Store products. Your activation key is provided upon completion of your DMS purchase.
  • The Support tab, provides quick access to our Support Forums and Documentation.
Troubleshooting

If you're having difficulty connecting to the PageLines activation service, you're most likely using a strict server environment or your server has fuctions disabled that are required in order to connect. If this is the case, please contact your web host provider for support.

I copied and pasted the above to my web host provider, and they responded, "We don't have any functions disabled. Does Pagelines tell you what must be enabled in order for their theme to work?"

Does anyone know what I might suggest to my web host provider for them to adjust in order for me to use the functionality in my DMS Account panel?

Thanks much!

Peter

Posted · Report post

Peter, I apologize.  When I answered you, DMS was totally new, even to me.

Go to your website in Chrome. Login as admin.  View the site.

You'll see the DMS Toolbar.

Click Account. 

A panel will appear on the left.  You'll see the option to enter your activation key.  See these docs:  http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/installation

Posted · Report post

Rob,

No apologies! I just appreciate all the help you've been giving to me and many others.

I did that right off the bat (see image below). I refreshed everything, but I still can't get the tabs you describe on the backend (see my previous image). Maybe there's some setting my ISP needs to change, but she can't figure it out.

PagelinesAccountActivation.jpeg

Peter

Posted · Report post

Sorry! Here's the screen shot:

PagelinesAccountActivation1.jpeg

Posted · Report post

Peter don't worry about the tabs.  That was totally my fault and misunderstanding of DMS as it was new to me back then.

Those tabs don't do anything, really, as it turns out, that you can't do in more efficient ways. It's only for DMS/Framework compatibility. The docs for it are here: http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/global-options

But, the issues you speak about I believe can be fixed without that.

Try logging in to your site in Chrome.  Browse the site and find a post and visit it.

In the editor options, you should see the ability to add comments,  breadcrumbs, post/nav etc. from the Add Sections area.  That will place Comments, a set of links to the navigation path of your post and the navigation to previous and next posts.  Publish and refresh and the things you added will be visible.  Make sure you don't apply the section to Section Options Local as that would apply these things just to that post.  You want to use the type option, so it applies to that type of post.