Content/PostLoop only shows on one page?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi there, 

I'm just using the free version of DMS as a test - and have added the PostLoop to a content area on the home page, which works perfect. Has local editing options and all. 

Yet, on a "Blog" page, I've got the exact same post loop added to a content area, in 8 columns with the primary sidebar to the right as a normal blog overview would be, and I have a couple of issues:

1) The Post Loop doesn't show as it does on the home page. This occurs even if I set the template of the page to be exactly the SAME as the home page.

2) In fact - i won't show on any other page, even if I deleted it from the home page... (go figure!!)

3) The configuration options look different - (see images linked below) - one (home page) has a lot more configuration options than the non-home page version.

Home page image: http://cl.ly/QUEF

Blog Page image: http://cl.ly/QVSV

So - my question is - Is this normal? Is it a result of only using the "free" version (I have a pagelines developer license but am testing the DMS out before forking out continual cash)...

Any thoughts or insights would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Dave,

WordPress only lets you display the Blog post loop on one page. That's not a DMS limitation.  If you have a static homepage, you normally would not use the postloop there to display posts.  You'd use a blog page, and display your posts there.

Now, DMS lets you edit globally or locally, and in the case of the post loop, it's local. DMS, as with WordPress, will see that you have both a homepage and a blog page, so if you apply postloop to the homepage, it's going to presume you've decided to display the list of posts there, not on the blog page. 

That said, if you still want there to be a list of posts in your homepage, then remove the content/postloop there, and leave it on the blog page.  Add the ContentBox or a sidebar (with text widget) to the homepage, then, install something like Special Recent Posts (from www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins) and use that to display your list on the homepage. Special Recent Posts is a plugin that calls the posts using a shortcode.

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you need additional help.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Awesome - will give your suggestions a crack! Thank you!

Posted · Report post

Dave,

WordPress only lets you display the Blog post loop on one page. That's not a DMS limitation.  If you have a static homepage, you normally would not use the postloop there to display posts.  You'd use a blog page, and display your posts there.

Now, DMS lets you edit globally or locally, and in the case of the post loop, it's local. DMS, as with WordPress, will see that you have both a homepage and a blog page, so if you apply postloop to the homepage, it's going to presume you've decided to display the list of posts there, not on the blog page. 

That said, if you still want there to be a list of posts in your homepage, then remove the content/postloop there, and leave it on the blog page.  Add the ContentBox or a sidebar (with text widget) to the homepage, then, install something like Special Recent Posts (from www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins) and use that to display your list on the homepage. Special Recent Posts is a plugin that calls the posts using a shortcode.

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you need additional help.

I just invested in Special Recent Posts Pro for $8. It does exactly what I want - almost. I must find out how to create a navigation to the next 5 oldest posts for a particular category.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

Special Recent Posts has an offset option. So, if you're displaying 3 posts in one layout, and want the next 5 in another, obviously you won't want them to repeat.  The offset allows you to tell the second group to bypass the first three posts in the loop and display 5, starting after the first 3.

I'd suggest you look through their options and instructions.

Posted · Report post

Special Recent Posts has an offset option. So, if you're displaying 3 posts in one layout, and want the next 5 in another, obviously you won't want them to repeat.  The offset allows you to tell the second group to bypass the first three posts in the loop and display 5, starting after the first 3.

I'd suggest you look through their options and instructions.

Thanks Rob.

Although I like SRP it doesn't have pagination - I checked with the developer after purchase.

What I want is to have several top menu items that go to a particular page and summarise the most recent posts on that page - say 5 BUT with a next previous pagination link. Unbelievably SRP does not do this. So I had to go with the Post In Page plugin instead. Is there any other suggested way to do this.

Cheers

Posted · Report post

You can always just add manual pagination to each page.  That's what I did in my site.