Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CSS changes in DMS widget areas; sidebar plugin interface with DMS

Question

Posted · Report post

What tags should I use to effect changes to font types and sizes to any DMS widget area? .sidebar doesn't seem to work in the CSS space. Also, when I create a sidebar in the sidebar plugin the theme suggested, it doesn't have any mechanism for assigning a category to it as it suggests it is able to do. Therefore, none of the sidebars I create using the plugin show up in the markup area.

Thanks  so much for your help!

Peter

14 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Peter

If I understand about de DMS widget area

Please, you can try add in your Custom Code for example:

.widget ul {
    font-size: 14px;
    font-family: sans-serif;
    font-style: oblique;
}

I need clean me cache to see the change or relaunch de web.
You see the image

My exemplary code is not necessarily applicable as written, to your site, so please adjust accordingly.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Bat Learning! I'll give it a try.

Any thoughts on how the widget plugin DMS suggests (Custom Sidebars) can be assigned posts with particular categories in DMS, as it claims to do? 

Posted · Report post

Peter, the Visual Editor (accessible by going to your site in Chrome, lets you select a section to edit.  When you do, likely you'll see a field called "Custom Class" or something like that.  In the Custom Class field, you can add a custom class.  This will then be applied specifically to that section only.  You then create your CSS to match.  You can also add a custom class directly into text widgets.

In the custom class field, you might add my-red-text or in the text widget, you might try <div class="my-red-text"> your text </div>

Then, in Custom Code you'd add something like

.my-red-text {color: red;}

And on saving, your text will turn red in that section or text widget only. Of course, you can apply custom code to most anything.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, One Smart Egg. Here's what I've done so far at slowreads.com (click any blog post title):

WidgetFontStyleIssue01.jpeg

I've read a couple of ways of defining the font family on the cs3 school site, so I tried both of these with no luck:

.widgetheader {font-family:Calibri,Candara,Segoe,"Segoe UI",Optima,Arial,sans-serif"; font-size 18px;}

and

.widgetheader {font-family: Calibri, Candara, Segoe, "Segoe UI" ,Optima ,Arial, sans-serif; font-size 18px;}

Then, in my text widget, I put this:

WidgetFontStyleIssue02.jpeg

I've been on this for two hours on the excellent w3schools.com site (I'm a pitifully slow learner), but can't make it go.

What I'd really like to do -- the extent of my customizations -- is to learn how to change the fonts on my widgets, both headers and body, particularly the font families and sizes. (I would like to assign widgets to certain blogs automatically by blog category as I was able to do on Genesis, but that's a different subject.)  (I'd love to learn how to get better at CSS, but my 70-plus-hours-per-week job won't permit it.) I really like the simple promise of the DMS interface to customize CSS for particular sections.

Posted · Report post

Hi Peter

Please, you can try with

.widget .textwidget {  display: none;}

Posted · Report post

Bat Learning, thanks. Do you mean that I should use those terms -- .widget and .textwidget -- instead of .widgetheader? I thought in Rob's example above (.my-red-text), it didn't matter what I called it so long as I used the same term in my widget's text field. Is that not so, or do I need particular names in the Styling Classes field (see my photo above)?

Thanks again.

Peter

Posted · Report post

Hi Peter

I can not see the photo

You can try add my code to your "Custome Code" , in this place (the code you see is another ;))

Captura%2520de%2520pantalla%25202013-07-

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Bat Learning.

I was able to fix my sidebar title fonts with this code:

.widget .widget-title, .widget .widgettitle {
    font-size: 20px;
    margin-bottom: 0.5em;
    padding: 3px 8px 3px 0;
    text-align: left;
}
But, even using Firebug, I was unable to identify what class is controlling the fonts in my footers. I'd like to turn them to a sans serif and to make the titles bigger than the body. (I've been unable to define any of my own classes using the custom class field. It disappears when I refresh.) I'm using the columnizer section in the footer of slowreads dot com.

Thanks . . .

Posted · Report post

Hi

Please you can try with

.widget ul {
    font-size: 14px;
    font-family: sans serif;}

Posted · Report post

Thanks, batman. I tried it this way (see lines 7 through 9 below):

FontProblem3.jpeg

It didn't change anything in the footer widgets, though, as you see here:

FontProblem1.jpeg

However, the first five lines of code above did make my sidebar widgets change very nicely:

FontProblem2.jpeg

I'd love to get my footer widget titles to look like my sidebar widget titles. I have the strange feeling that I'm missing something! :)

Thanks,

Peter

Posted · Report post

By the way, while I've been working on my font issues, I did figure out the interface with the sidebar plugin. How cool. I also think the docs for DMS are extremely well done and helpful. The whole DMS design thing is proving to be a lot of fun.

And any help on this CSS font issue would be appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

Posted · Report post

Okay, lets stop and take a deep breath. 

In the place you said you defined your class, you made the mistake of adding your CSS.  Let me be clear, the CSS does not go there. 

The purpose of the field is to create a new class.  So you'd put something like mynewclass in there (no spaces, only dash or underscore for punctuation.

Then, where it says "Custom Code" in the DMS menubar, you can define the custom class you created. Something like .mynewclass {border: 1px solid red;} You'll see the mynewclass now has a period in front of it, telling the browser this is a class, and then the actual styling is applied (in this example, a red border of 1 pixel, with a solid line). This is why it's important to take the time to read the documentation -- an important, but obviously skipped step.

When you add CSS to the class field, you'll see absolutely no change in your site. But, do it enough and you'll get one big effect - crashing your site.  Likely, when someone asks us why that happened, we're going to say something unpleasant.

So, take the CSS out of that class field, use it properly, and read the docs.  That's what they're written for -- seriously. http://docs.pagelines.com.

Posted · Report post

Hello,

This was a great post but you need to understand that you are a "calculus" instructor speaking to people that have just mastered fractions. Please share with me where in the docs it tells you where to put what. How would I possibly know to take the CSS out of the class field? I don't even know  what that means unless you show me.

A simple screen shot would be wonderful. 

Surely there is a 1 minute screencast you could do to address this: When you add CSS to the class field, you'll see absolutely no change in your site. But, do it enough and you'll get one big effect - crashing your site.  Likely, when someone asks us why that happened, we're going to say something unpleasant.

So, take the CSS out of that class field, use it properly, and read the docs.  That's what they're written for -- seriously. http://docs.pagelines.com.

Posted · Report post

Margeaux7,  I'm lousy with screencasts. Apologies.

However, here's the docs page that will help:  http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/section-area-styling

You can see how the Styling Class is entered and then used in custom code.  Again, you do not add CSS to the class field. Only the class you want to create.

Go to the Styling Classes, add  mybluetext as written and nothing else.

Then, in Custom Code, you'd add

.mybluetext {color: blue;}

Then, you'll see the text in that section turn blue. Simple as pie.

However, if you add the custom code to the Styling Class field, it's incorrect, and DMS doesn't process anything.