Photo
- - - - -

Slideshow header

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a fading slideshow, something like

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

working on the Station Pro theme? I've tried a couple of plugins, such as Flashfader, but can't figure out where to place the code in the header.php for it to show, or should it go somewhere else altogether? Or maybe there's a plugin you know that would do the job?
The site where I'd like to add this is

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi, It's possible to put it in header.php if you would like it above the navigation link menu. Do you still have Flashfader installed?

#3 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Yes, I do, or rather, I have a test blog where I carry out these experiments so that I don't mess up anything too badly, an once and if I get something working, I just carry the same thing out on the actual site. :-) The flashfader is installed there at the moment. Yes, I would like to have it in place of the header photo, above the menu tabs. There are several similar banner type photos of the band on that same hill top in slightly different poses, and I think they would make a nice effect and add to the visual interest of the front page while waiting for them to decide what they _really_ want there, and for more media material to become available. :-)

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Does the test blog you use have the StationPro theme?

#5 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:06 AM

It doesn't have any permanent theme as such, but I can activate it temporarily for testing purposes, if I need something Station Pro specific. It's a restricted access blog visible only to myself and with no actual content, so I can change it according to whatever is currently needed. The actual blog in question was hacked just this week (quite a few blogs on the same server were, apparently) and after that I'm even less willing to risk messing things up so that I would need to re-install everything once again, especially as it looks like a transfer to a better maintained and more secure server is due sooner rather than later...

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi, If you activate StationPro on your test blog and install the Flashfader plugin, you can test how the slideshow works and see how you like it. I can direct you to where the slideshow can go in the header.php file.

#7 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I've already done that, but haven't yet been able to figure out where to put the code, so would be great if you could help with that. :-)

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

In the Flashfader control panel (under "Posts" on the left side of your Dashboard) upload the images you want (if you haven't done so already). At the bottom, you'll find this code:

This is the code that you paste into the header.php file. Copy and paste it directly below this code in the file:

#9 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:41 AM

No, that doesn't seem to work. All I get is an empty white box (or whatever colour is chosen as the background colour), if the 'XHTML-valid flash embed' is set to 0, if it's set to 1, there isn't even any box visible. I've tried several different dimension and it should be the right size (and the box in fact is), it's just that no photos are showing.

#10 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Why don't you use the built-in feature slider to get this effect? Are there considerations that are stopping you from using it?

#11 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Do you mean the feature page? (could also be I've missed something, haven't had that much time to familiarise myself with the theme with the hack attack last week and stuff... If you mean the feature page, that's not quite what I'm after as it's the header that i would like to replace on all pages, not affecting the actual page content itself. If I've missed something, then please could you point me to the right direction! :-) Also I've been experimenting with the festure slider with some videos and the effect is somewhat twitchy, have to check if there's a thread about that...

#12 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

In the Feature Setup page, you can indeed change the transition effect, there are many different effects to choose from, including what you're trying to do I believe.

Thanks, Bryan

#13 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

But as I've just explained, I don't want a feature page but a header, and if I can turn the Feature Setup into a header slider, then I don't have a clue as to how and would appreciate some pointers. Please see the link in my first post for the type of thing I'm after (maybe 3 photos and a bit faster transition effect, but that's the idea - a changing header to replace the static one).

#14 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

My mistake. We could modify the theme to put the slider in the header but to be honest it would seem easier to just continue with troubleshooting the plugin you have. so going back to :

No, that doesn't seem to work. All I get is an empty white box (or whatever colour is chosen as the background colour), if the 'XHTML-valid flash embed' is set to 0, if it's set to 1, there isn't even any box visible. I've tried several different dimension and it should be the right size (and the box in fact is), it's just that no photos are showing.

Is there a link I can see. Perhaps the image paths are not correct despite there being an image uploader?

#15 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

There's no link at the moment, as obviously I couldn't leave a blank white bar or an empty space there, but I'll take a look and get back to you. Another thing I noticed was that as I have to remove the custom header in order for it to be replaced by the slider-wana-be (rather than it showing on top of the header), the site name becomes visible and that is not a desired effect either, as they want their name to appear on the header and possibly one of the slideshow photos would be a banner with just the band's name in the same font as on the current header