page template changes do not "stick"

Question

Posted · Report post

I cannot seem to successfully apply templates to pages, or change the template that they are currently set to use.   Using the "Load Template" button in the DMS editing area seems to apply the template to the page, but when looking at the pages in the list of "pages" in Wordpress dashboard, they still appear as either "default" or "no template assigned" in the "PageLines Template" column.   Similarly, attempting to use the "Load PageLines Template" menu of the "DMS Setup" area of the Wordpress "Edit" page yields the same result.  No matter what is done to set the template for a page, the change simply just does not stick and teh still come back as "default" or "no template assigned".  Am I misunderstanding how the template mechanism should work, or is something wrong here?   Thanks for any suggestions!

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Thanks and I think you're correct, this should be included again.

I have created an issue for you which you can follow here - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/274

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I'm no expert in this yet, but please don't forget that the Drag & Drop functions still exist, and you can edit templates, save them and apply them, still, from the page directly by selecting that template.

When using the Visual editor, adding sections to your template, or modifying it in any way, you must click Publish, then refresh for it to be seen. I don't know if this will result in a change in the WordPress listing of pages.  It may simply be that we've not yet coded the visual options to reflect in that list.

If you've not yet done so, please check our new Docs at http://docs.pagelines.com

Posted · Report post

Ignore what it says within wordpress admin. It's a bug. Set the template on the front of the site, whel on the page, go to Template, and load template. WHen you make changes, click UPdate Template.

Posted · Report post

Ignore what it says within wordpress admin. It's a bug. Set the template on the front of the site, whel on the page, go to Template, and load template. WHen you make changes, click UPdate Template.

But is it possible to set the template in the backend for example with a hook in the child template or something else? I have an editor who is only allowed to work in backend to edit and publish content. So i need this bug :)

thx for help

Posted · Report post

But is it possible to set the template in the backend for example with a hook in the child template or something else? I have an editor who is only allowed to work in backend to edit and publish content. So i need this bug :)

thx for help

Yes, that would also be great for us as we may also need to lock users out of the DMS editor and only give them pre-made templates that comply with our branding policy.

It sounds like the bug is already known, but just incase, I can seem to get the templates in the wordpress editor to "stick" (In the "Wordpress Edit Page" screen at least) if I remove all spaces and special characters from the template name. For example, "TestTemplate" seems to stick, where "Test Template", or "Test_Template" does not. 

However, from what I can tell even though that now saves the template for that page, it is ignored and whatever is defined in the DMS editor is used. :( The column for "PageLines Template" on the Page listing screen also is never reflected.

Other than that, we're very happy with DMS.

Posted · Report post

Rob, 

I think it works, but there is no indication on the front end (i.e. wp admin bar) or on the backend like in Framework. So I have no idea what template the page is calling.

When do you think that'll be addressed?  The ability to template in DMS is crucial to our design process.

Thanks 

Posted · Report post

Steve,

As you'll see in DMS, you can navigate to a new page, and create the template on it, with our Visual Editor.  In some of the tools available in DMS, you can create new templates directly from the settings. Once a template is created, I think you can edit any new page you create via normal WordPress process and select the saved template, so you don't have to recreate it each time.

At present, DMS has plenty of template creation resources.  I'd recommend: http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/using-templates

Posted · Report post

Rob, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.  I definitely know how to create custom page templates and use them like there's no tomorrow.

However, in Framework it showed the page template on the WP meta bar, see example here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqp4z23y93erzeg/2013-08-03%2023_54_48-Accel%20_%20Business%20Solutions.png

But in DMS, this isn't the case... so while I'm trying to work with the frontend editor, I have no idea what template I'm in unless I switch to the backend.  

It'd just be really convenient to get that feature back, especially since DMS has a feature to "update template with current configurations" and I don't know if I'm overwriting the wrong/right template unless I switch to the backend.

thanks