Photo
- - - - -

Where do we stand?

Best Answer Rob , 30 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi,

Since this is becoming a long conversation and people are posting new issues here that should be in their own topics, I'm resolving this issue and asking everyone to post their own, new topics with specifics.  We cannot answer them if you just say things like "my site doesnt' work".  Tell us more and we'll do our best.

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16342 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

It seems to me Pagelines could support two products. Framework has many advantages over DMS for those that know what they are doing and DMS is well suited to those that have little experience with web design.

It's good to know that Framework will be supported for some time, especially in the face of Wordpress 4 coming soon. But I still feel like the clock is ticking and I have to decide what to do. DMS doesn't seem as robust in the time I have spent with it and it would require me to really change the look and feel of my website when I don't have any desire for a redesign.

For example, I seem to be forced into one look for the blog pages. There are no robust styling features in DMS that Framework has. For navigation, you have only the fixed nav bar with the small logo or no logo at all for your header.

I'm going to give DMS some time to mature a bit and figure out what to do.

I can't disagree more, DMS is more advanced than PageLines Framework and I am unable to find any advantages it has over DMS. PageLines Framework is solid and allows you to create superb looking websites and with some technical knowledge, can be used to build almost anything. PageLines DMS is no different but with the live LESS preview (insanely awesome feature), ability to add custom classes on every section area and section, dynamic templates to name a few, it makes building websites even faster and more fun. Add to the mix users who are comfortable with LESS, JS, PHP and you can any kind of layout or design within minutes not hours.

Not sure if you have some inside knowledge but as far as I am aware Wordpress 4.0 isn't coming soon, 3.8 is scheduled to be released late 2013.

No robust styling features in DMS ? Every section area and every section has a custom class field, which supports multiple classes. You can customize all sections with ease. I am currently drafting a couple of new docs which will go through styling section areas which demonstrates how easy it really is to give different sections different colors.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

That image there is 4 Full Width Section Areas which are populated with different sections and all I did was write some basic custom CSS:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Then added the class names to each section, it took no longer than 5 minutes and that is with just basic CSS.

Not sure what you're referring to in regards to the blog styling, you have both Blog and Magazine mode like in PageLines Framework.

#22 seo_pro

seo_pro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the comments Rob. All of the staff seems excited about the new capabilities of DMS.

Just to clarify a few points...

• Are you saying that framework will still get additional growth and features, or will it be in maintenance mode only for bug fixes?

• When we dis-continue our subscription to Plus, DMS, etc., can you please clarify whether the pagelines url will be inserted in our clients websites?

#23 jjherman

jjherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

I can't login.  When will I be able to do that? 

• Martin Bay likes this

#24 Martin Bay

Martin Bay

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Framework Version:Latest :)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I can't login.  When will I be able to do that? 

Yeah I really don't care about DMS until the login issues are solved with my Framwork sites.

#25 kinglou75

kinglou75

Advanced Member

• Members

• 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I agree with Martin. Get PL working fully again and I will start to mess around with DMS.

• Martin Bay likes this

#26 anlinares

anlinares

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Amen!  Too busy worried about my current sites/projects to be able to enjoy the new release.  So seeing new 'exciting' things about DMS just makes me upset.  I would appreciate the comfort of easing into DMS as time provides... not being thrown into it with no support for what I'm working on now.  I'll be forced to transition completely to Canvas if that is the case.

#27 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:55 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

Since this is becoming a long conversation and people are posting new issues here that should be in their own topics, I'm resolving this issue and asking everyone to post their own, new topics with specifics.  We cannot answer them if you just say things like "my site doesnt' work".  Tell us more and we'll do our best.