Difference between section global and section local

Question

Posted · Report post

I noticed that there is a "section options global" and "section options local".  I thought I would be able to set the header locally for each different template but I'm not able to do this.

I didn't see any explanation for this in the docs.pagelines.com section.  

If the sections options global/section options local don't allow for page/template specific headers, is there any negative to not having a header and I would simply use different media boxes/columns without a header? 

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I'm under the impression that in creating a page, you can apply sections locally (including the header) to that specific page.

Have you tried that method?

Posted · Report post

As rob said, local is to THAT page. Global is across the entire site.

Posted · Report post

Theoretically, you are saying that the changes made to one page shouldn't necessarily appear on another.  However, I would like a different image on one header page than another.  As you can see at these two different pages, the section remains the same except on the front page there is no media image.  What I want is media box that fills the entire section on the home page and then one that has components on all the other pages.  

http://dearauthor.staging.wpengine.com/

http://dearauthor.staging.wpengine.com/?page_id=43483

Posted · Report post

Headers are  normally global, so you'll have to use a Content Box or some sidebar to manage this locally.

Posted · Report post

It appears that in order to have different header images on each page that the best thing to do is leave the header section blank and just add differing sections to the content portion of the template. Is there any disadvantage for not having a header?

Posted · Report post

Well, there are some disadvantages, some related to search engine optimization.  However, you're certainly free to do as you described.

There may be better ways, and since we are experimenting with this new product as you are, we may discover an easier way. I would urge you to go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop, and look at the options you have Available there to add to the Header.  There are quite a few.  Theoretically, you could add a Widgetizer section to the header, then using something like Widget Logic, change the content of a text widget on a per page, category, or even post basis as desired.  It's lots of extra work, but clearly, your customization is well outside the box.

Posted · Report post

There is no drag and drop section in Dashboard.

Screen-Shot-2013-07-28-at-9.01.51-AM.png

Posted · Report post

You're looking in the wrong place.

Go to your dashboard, where you land once you login as admin.  You'll then see PageLines on the left side.  Click there.  You'll see a list of four more options below it. One of them is Drag & Drop.

Posted · Report post

I'm at the Dashboard -> Pagelines page but this is what I see. Perhaps you have different options?

Screen-Shot-2013-07-28-at-4.46.51-PM.png

Posted · Report post

Hi jane_l

Please, you can try go to

Global Options > Enable v2 Compatibility Mode

You can see the image

Captura%2520de%2520pantalla%25202013-07-

Take care with the note:

PL has added some settings that may help you upgrade from Framework (v2). To use these, select them and then publish. 
Note that due to the substantial amount of changes in DMS, there may still be issues. These features will be removed with DMS v3.1.

You can see then

Captura%2520de%2520pantalla%25202013-07-