Photo
- - - - -

Migrating off PageLines - Does all the content export well?

migrating content away from pagelines

Best Answer Rob , 24 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Hi,

I'm confident that if you see how DMS works, you'll never think of leaving PageLines! :)

That said, exporting the content of your entire site, including the content of boxes, sliders, banners or other custom post types is done via WordPress' export tools.

The only problem with the content of custom post types is that you need a pretty much matching container in the new site or location to display the custom post type and its content. Thus if you have Boxes content, but your new theme in the non-PageLines site doesn't use boxes, then you'll not likely see the content of the boxes.  Still, it will be in the database. 

You can (and should) back up everything in all possible ways. Just to be safe, of course.  All the content, including custom post types, is contained in the database and is posted into a WP format (technically it's all added in WP).  So it's all capable of being display, provided the content is able to display.  Boxes, Features and Banners all have pretty standard plugins that will call them.  Other custom post types, that are PL specific may have some difficulty, depending on what they are, or may not display at all in a non-PL site. 

If your clients go into any comprehensive framework, platform or even complex themes, there will be variables.  Isn't the key thing going to also be the ease of rebuilding? Theoretically, if you move from any system to a new one, even a basic theme to a different basic theme, you'll still have considerable work to do in making sure everything looks and works right.  With PageLines, we make such migrations, updates and changes as easy as possible.

You still have incredible flexibility in PageLines, should you keep your clients there.  For example you can use child themes (as you can with many other products today, but with PL, you can custom create your own amazing child themes, rather than being limited to buying someone else's products.

When migrating custom post types, I usually tell people to copy, paste and rebuild, as it's the best way, and because you need that new container.  At least with the database, you always have all your content to review.

With DMS, your choice couldn't be better for your clients, nor for you as a developer.  It cuts the development time down considerably, and affords you the ability to maintain excellent client relationships.  The effects you'll create will be astounding, and your clients will love its ease of use, something you'll not find even in third party frameworks.

I hope this answers you, and that i haven't confused in my reply.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 creativewebguru

creativewebguru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

I am not leaving PageLines. In fact, I am testing it out and hope it may become a part of my business approach.

However, before I invest tons of time into customizing a whole site into PageLines, I need serious reassurance regarding what happens to the content.

I looked through the basic docs and the FAQ, and didn't see the answer to this question.

Does PageLines store content (including content in boxes and features and such) in a standard way that would transfer seamlessly into another non-PageLines Wordpress theme (perhaps as custom posts)? 

What exactly happens to my content if I switch from PageLines to another theme? Where does all my content go?

I am reluctant to risk putting my clients onto a system that they cannot easily leave if they need to. One of the great things about Wordpress is the easy switching between themes. If all my content ends up "trapped" inside PageLines-specific containers, I lose this flexibility.

Thanks in advance for an honest answer. Even if your answer is "sorry, it doesn't work the way you want", I think you have a great system with a lot of potential. I just need to be clear about what happens if my test drive of your system doesn't work out. 

Depending on your answer, I may choose to use PageLines for different projects than I'm considering right now, simply because of the nature of their content.

Thanks much!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:04 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

I'm confident that if you see how DMS works, you'll never think of leaving PageLines! :)

That said, exporting the content of your entire site, including the content of boxes, sliders, banners or other custom post types is done via WordPress' export tools.

The only problem with the content of custom post types is that you need a pretty much matching container in the new site or location to display the custom post type and its content. Thus if you have Boxes content, but your new theme in the non-PageLines site doesn't use boxes, then you'll not likely see the content of the boxes.  Still, it will be in the database. 

You can (and should) back up everything in all possible ways. Just to be safe, of course.  All the content, including custom post types, is contained in the database and is posted into a WP format (technically it's all added in WP).  So it's all capable of being display, provided the content is able to display.  Boxes, Features and Banners all have pretty standard plugins that will call them.  Other custom post types, that are PL specific may have some difficulty, depending on what they are, or may not display at all in a non-PL site. 

If your clients go into any comprehensive framework, platform or even complex themes, there will be variables.  Isn't the key thing going to also be the ease of rebuilding? Theoretically, if you move from any system to a new one, even a basic theme to a different basic theme, you'll still have considerable work to do in making sure everything looks and works right.  With PageLines, we make such migrations, updates and changes as easy as possible.

You still have incredible flexibility in PageLines, should you keep your clients there.  For example you can use child themes (as you can with many other products today, but with PL, you can custom create your own amazing child themes, rather than being limited to buying someone else's products.

When migrating custom post types, I usually tell people to copy, paste and rebuild, as it's the best way, and because you need that new container.  At least with the database, you always have all your content to review.

With DMS, your choice couldn't be better for your clients, nor for you as a developer.  It cuts the development time down considerably, and affords you the ability to maintain excellent client relationships.  The effects you'll create will be astounding, and your clients will love its ease of use, something you'll not find even in third party frameworks.

I hope this answers you, and that i haven't confused in my reply.

#3 creativewebguru

creativewebguru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:38 AM

Thank you for the info. I believe that answers my question!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

Glad to have helped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: migrating, content, away from pagelines