Photo
- - - - -

Website home page is live but all other pages still on temporary address

URL IP Nameserver

Best Answer robinonholiday , 30 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello Martin and Rob

Thank you very much for thinking about my problem!

Yes I want to migrate the whole site - not just point the domain at the existing site.

When I can get access to my WP admin area I will give the permalinks another go!

Given the situation with Pagelines servers, I am very grateful that my client was happy for me to focus on other promo activities this week (taking photos of the event he was hosting etc) rather than on getting the new site launched..!!

I will mark this question as solved. If I get joy with the permalinks I will let you know!

Thanks again.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robinonholiday

robinonholiday

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hello Pagelines gang

Website URL:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Framework Version: 2.4.3
WordPress Version: 3.5.1
Plugins in Use: NextGen, Poppy, Better Carousel
Server/Host:

I have been building the site at a 'temporary address' on the above hosting service 

For some reason when I changed the nameservers for the site, only the homepage address changed. I emailed the problem to my server/host (see below). I tried to act on his suggestion (I won't give you the details as didn't resolve it).

I hope you can point me in the right direction. I am very new to the 'back office' side of websites.

This site is suppose to go live tomorrow!

On 22 July 2013 18:30, Robin Shaw <

.co.uk> wrote:

Hiya Rob

I just (finally!!) changed the nameservers for

I typed in the live address:

and was pleased to see the site was already showing!

But.

When I clicked some of the pages I saw that they were still linking to the TEMP address: 'http://

/

'

I thought they would all update - relationally? Is that what they are suppose to do?

All the best
Robin

To: Robin Shaw <robinonholiday@

.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 22 July 2013, 19:07
Subject: Re: Website home page live but all other pages still on temp address?

Dear Robin,

I suspect that's because in your CMS (Wordpress, Joomla etc) you have set the URL to include the IP address. If you change that in the settings that should fix it. If you've written in the URLs yourself you will need to update them manually.

Kind regards,

Rob

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2469 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

It could take a few hours (maybe 24+) for the DNS changes to take effect. 

Rob Percival from Eco Hosting suggests changing the permalink settings. Go to Wordpress > Permalinks and click save, (make no changes) and let us know if this fixes the problem. 

#3 robinonholiday

robinonholiday

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi Martin

Thanks for replying. I checked out the permalinks already. I really don't think that is the solution. They don't deal with the DNS/IP issue. I'm not having a problem with the page names themselves - it's the IP/DNS address that isn't changing. I have had a good go at trying the various fixes I found in the forums etc - what to do when you move your site etc - but nothing has completely addressed the problem.

So unless some miracle or info appears before tomorrow am, I will delete the site and start afresh.... :-P At least I have all the content already!

Thanks again.

Robin

#4 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2469 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Did you move the site or just repoint the URL at you other install? 

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Robin,

When migrating a site, the migrated files include dynamic links that point to the source site. This is how WordPress works.  When you complete the migration, a standard practice is to go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks, where you do not change the permalink structure (no changes at all), and just save.  This updates all dynamic links that WordPress has created to the current location of your site.

It has nothing to do with IP addresses, as things in WP are not based on IP addresses.  Though you are seeing an IP address in the URL, that is because it's the URL from the source, and thus it is the dynamic address WP picked up.  You'll be pleased to know that when you simply save the Permalink settings without any changes, those addresses will update and all links will reflect the new IP unless you manually added them.

#6 robinonholiday

robinonholiday

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:34 PM   Best Answer

Hello Martin and Rob

Thank you very much for thinking about my problem!

Yes I want to migrate the whole site - not just point the domain at the existing site.

When I can get access to my WP admin area I will give the permalinks another go!

Given the situation with Pagelines servers, I am very grateful that my client was happy for me to focus on other promo activities this week (taking photos of the event he was hosting etc) rather than on getting the new site launched..!!

I will mark this question as solved. If I get joy with the permalinks I will let you know!

Thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: URL, IP, Nameserver