• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AngelosTzelepis

AngelosTzelepis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.2

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

The Page Options page can take 90+ seconds to load, if it does at all. I was given this link by someone: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

OK. Sooo..... what is the limit?

The docs don't explain this anywhere, but the link talked about sections and core elements blah blah blah. I found in the "store" what sections we have added, and the core elements.

There are 34 sections activated in Core, 18 added sections active, and 2 added sections not active. Is 52 too many sections? How many too many? Is 46 the limit? How does that math relate to a php limit in htaccess?

Where do I tell what's actually used on the site, in the drag & drop section, do I have to click on every possible layout and see what's been built? 

I'm new to this role, and the IT person who decided on Pagelines is no longer here. I don't see why anyone would go with a proprietary framework, but now the damage is done, so I need to make this site useable by us internally (stop the constant timing out when in Pagelines), by viewers who will inevitably bounce after 7-10 second wait times per page, etc.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi,

Yes, 52 is a bit much.

Keep in mind that if the amount of memory allocated to PHP is low, each time your page loads with 18 or more sections, plus image, plugins, text, javascripts, jQuery, AJAX, etc, there is a pretty heavy strain on resources.  Deactivate any sections not used.  You don't have to delete them.

Then, when it comes to your server, make sure that PHP resources are increased to 64Mb or higher.  The maximum is 256Mb.

I'd recommend using a service like MaxCDN or Cloudflare to deliver scripts and images, etc., from alternate servers, reducing the load on your machine, and thus increasing speed and performance.  Also, make sure all your custom code is correct (validate it if it's not LESS code).

Make sure all plugins are up to date and current with WP 3.5.3.

Make sure images aren't being scaled by WordPress.  If you want to display an image in the content area, make sure that the image is actually the size desired, not much larger.  Some images can take up more than 2Mb of memory when loading.  This can be a major source of slowness.

Run a Pingdom test at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and it will tell you where your slowness is happening. Look for long wait times. When you see that, there's some reason the server is waiting for action.