Photo
- - - - -

Extra Wide Slider?

featured slider width

Best Answer Rob , 21 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi Jenna,

I've tested it as much as I know how, but can't make the slider any wider than the container in which it sits.

That said, it's possible to narrow down the other parts of your site using CSS by increasing padding, margins or changing the percentage of width (for the individual sections).

So, let's say you have a 1000px wide layout.  You could apply a slider in Page Templates, at 100%. Your header could be made 94%,  along with the content area below the slider.  That would let someone see the slider in a way similar to the one you've used as an example. You just have to be very careful when selecting the exact CSS elements to modify.

Also consider that if using padding (possibly margins, too), the background of that are may stretch to match the width of the slider.  You may have to adjust the way you create your background colors and images.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jennajonesdesign

jennajonesdesign

• Members

• 116 posts
  • LocationBillings, MT

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hello All!

I am hoping to make my featured slider wider than the main content of the rest of my site. Here is an example of a design like this. Can anyone tell me how to do this? (I am good with firebug). 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

THANK YOU!

Jenna

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:17 PM   Best Answer

Hi Jenna,

I've tested it as much as I know how, but can't make the slider any wider than the container in which it sits.

That said, it's possible to narrow down the other parts of your site using CSS by increasing padding, margins or changing the percentage of width (for the individual sections).

So, let's say you have a 1000px wide layout.  You could apply a slider in Page Templates, at 100%. Your header could be made 94%,  along with the content area below the slider.  That would let someone see the slider in a way similar to the one you've used as an example. You just have to be very careful when selecting the exact CSS elements to modify.

Also consider that if using padding (possibly margins, too), the background of that are may stretch to match the width of the slider.  You may have to adjust the way you create your background colors and images.

#3 jennajonesdesign

jennajonesdesign

• Members

• 116 posts
  • LocationBillings, MT

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thanks so much for your response. That is the conclusion I was coming to as well. I think I will just go with the Wicker slider. ;) Still has impact and then I won't have to mess with it. 

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Jenna, not messing with things is always better than messing! Good choice!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured slider, width