Photo
- - - - -

CSS with Custom Code & the Customization Plugin

css customization plugin plugin cross browser Firefox Chrome IE

Best Answer Rob , 19 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hi Brian

The CSS validator is saying this line isn't correct:

background-image: linear-gradient(top,#80953a,#80953a);

17 .navbar.pl-color-grey Value Error : background-image top is not a color value )

To answer your question though, when it comes to the menus I always recommend using Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > CSS Rules.

We have a plugin called Browser Specific CSS, which lets you specify the CSS for IE8 or other browsers.

Also, you may want to try the Google IE Compatibility option in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Advanced, to see if that helps.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brianr

brianr

• Members

• 6 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Framework Version:2.1

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Currently I'm using the customization plugin to style our new website. I chose it over the child theme method for various reasons.

One customization is changing the color and general style of the static nav bar. I am aware of the Crackbar plugin. But decided I can do the css myself.

So using

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I found the code to change the Nav Bar. I did tests and got the style I needed. Then I added the code to the style.css file in the customization plugin directory. When I refreshed my browser to look at changes they happened in Chrome/Safari Mac (Webkit) and not Firefox Mac/Win (Gecko).

Upon doing some searches in the forums here I found another person complaining about the customization plugin not applying their CSS. I saw that someone suggested using the Custom Code form field in the Pagelines Global Settings.

Here's the code I used. You may notice that the classes say 'grey' but some hexidecimal colors are not grey but green.

I took out the CSS to change the top nav bar from the customization plugin style.css and pasted it in the Custom Code form. THEN it works in Chrome and Firefox. Most oddly IE 8 Windows shows the new Nav Bar colors for a few seconds then reverts to the original NavBar colors I'm trying to override.

Why did this work when just editing the style.css did not? Specifically with how Firefox handled it differently than Chrome. Can I use both methods of editing CSS at the same time without side affects?

Thanks.

-BrianR

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:46 PM   Best Answer

Hi Brian

The CSS validator is saying this line isn't correct:

background-image: linear-gradient(top,#80953a,#80953a);

17 .navbar.pl-color-grey Value Error :

top is not a color value )

To answer your question though, when it comes to the menus I always recommend using Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > CSS Rules.

We have a plugin called Browser Specific CSS, which lets you specify the CSS for IE8 or other browsers.

Also, you may want to try the Google IE Compatibility option in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Advanced, to see if that helps.

#3 brianr

brianr

• Members

• 6 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Framework Version:2.1

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Rob. I'll definitely be using the Browser Specific CSS plugin. :)

#4 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi Brian - let us know how you get on. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: css, customization plugin, plugin, cross browser, Firefox, Chrome, IE