• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Let me describe our setup first and then describe the problem we encountered.

We have a site setup with different siteurl and home values:

define('WP_SITEURL','

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

');

define('WP_HOME','

');

The reason being that the www domain is shared between the WordPress CMS and some of our .NET app pages through hardware on our network and we use the cms subdomain for all the admin panels.  In order to migrate to a new server we have to make a CNAME change for the cms subdomain which takes time to propagate and then update our network device that splits the www domain, which is instantaneous.  

So we tried to move to a new server last night and there was a significant issue that occurred.  The compiled stylesheet failed and went from this:

<link rel="stylesheet" id="pagelines-less-css" href="

" type="text/css" media="all">

to this:

<link rel="stylesheet" id="pagelines-less-css" href="

" type="text/css" media="all">

Keep in mind that the new server had been working previously when I would change my hosts file locally to test it.  So I know the nginx server was properly configured to allow the stylesheet to be creates.  

My question is would pagelines default back to href="

" if it couldn't find the pagelines-compiled-css file?  My theory is that since the www domain changes were instantaneous but the cms subdomain changes were a CNAME change which takes time to propagate, that the new server tried calling http://cms.infousa.com/wp-content/themes/pagelines/pagelines-compiled-css-1_1374161552 which pointed at the old server which wouldn't have had that specific file.  

After we restored the www and cms domains back to the old IP the new server went back to using the proper stylesheet link.  You can see it by changing your hosts file with:

54.236.173.119 www.infousa.com  cms.infousa.com

And you'll see the nginx is properly configured and pagelines is creating the compiled stylesheet.  But we need to know what the best method for cutting over to the new IP would be so we don't end up with the broken stylesheet.  Should we change the CNAME way ahead of time, and won't that lead to the old server looking for the compiled stylesheet on the new server, so just the reverse of the problem?

Any suggestions and how to best accomplish the cutover, or what the cause of the new server reverting to ?pageless=xxx ?

Thanks

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

Please make sure you have a phpinfo.php file in your site and kindly provide a link.

#3 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Ok, the phpinfo.php files is there at 

However, as I stated, the server isn't like so you have to modify your host file as follows:

54.236.173.119 www.infousa.com  cms.infousa.com

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm afraid that's not possible.  Let us know when your site is live.

#5 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well that's the problem.  When we try and switch the IP the compiled stylesheet breaks and reverts back to ?pageless=xxx

So my question is, does Pagelines compile the css file and then check for it using the SITEURL setting, and if it doesn't find it then reverts to the ?pageless=xxx setting?  If so, then the issue is that while our WP_HOME is immediately updated, the SITEURL takes time and so the new server is checking the old server for the new compiled css file and, not finding it, going back to default ?pageless=xxx.  If that's the case things should fix themselves after the CNAME propagates enough that the new server can actually call itself with the new CNAME entry.

Does that sound like a reasonable interpretation of what's happening and a possible solution...wait for the CNAME to propagate?

Thanks,

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Let me point out that when properly installed, Wordpress and PageLines work perfectly together.  Unfortunately, as you've described it, your team has not even correctly installed WordPress, so that's not functioning correctly to begin with, as I read it.  Then, when PageLines is installed, it doesn't know how to resolve the conflicts created by the team's installations.

You shouldn't be doing things as you're doing them, and this is clearly an unsupported, not to mention unsupportable issue.  You need a server administrator to sort out your installation to one domain, not two.  You cannot, to my knowledge, have one WordPress installation working as you've stated. Since PageLines cannot read where the CSS files are located, it cannot compile and will not render correctly.

I would urge you to correct your installation with the help of a server administrator.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compiled stylesheet, migration