• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a conflict with a plugin, or just a beginning of platform Pro degrading for me:

Couple of days ago I noticed that the magazine layout of my blog page has some strange layout anomalies on it. This may have been going on for a couple of weeks,

I'm not sure.  Essentially I noticed two things: 

1.the lines that separate the "summary clips" (not the featured posts) no longer separate, instead they all appear underneath the last featured post.  

2.the summary clips used to be formatted such that each block to the exact same amount of space - now, when two of the summary clips show side-by-side they are uneven (the hard to explain, suffice it to say it just looks real bad).

Here's a link  (though hopefully I'll fix it in the next few hours… But I've been working on it for a day and a half now):   

http://www.metapreneurship.net/blog

so, instead of 

---------------------------

FEATURED POST 1

FEATURED POST 2

CLIP1          CLIP2

text-text       text-text

text-text

-----------     ------------

CLIP3          CLIP4

text-text

CLIP5          CLIP6

text-text       
text-text       
(this is what it should look like, rough, and used to look like)

NOW it looks like this

FEATURED POST 1

FEATURED POST 2

---------------------------  (these lines over lap the headings for CLIP1 CLIP2)

CLIP1          CLIP2

text-text      

CLIP4

CLIP3          text-text

CLIP5          CLIP6

text-text       
text-text       

so far, I've been disabling lots of plug-ins ( particularly any plug-in that is been updated within the last couple of weeks), and have rollback my backups of platform Pro   ( though I just discovered, alarmingly, that the export – backup platform Pro does not include the custom code block!).

You'll notice, for debugging purposes, I've added  

.clip_box {border-color: green; }

to the custom code so I could start to isolate what's going on  ( so the line separating the clip boxes are green and a little bit more easily identified)

Any ideas? Insights? Help?

Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hi Cornell,

First, the reason you don't need an export of the custom code block is that the code is written to your database, and isn't in any PlatformPro file.

Now, as for the rest of this, I suspect you're experiencing the degradation I've been warning everyone about.  Likely, it's a change in Javascript or jQuery being pushed by someone (not us), causing conflicts with your slider, or with PlatformPro in general.

I'd recommend upgrading to PageLines Framework today (where PlatformPro will migrate to Framework), or, waiting till Wednesday, when our new product comes out, and rebuild your site from scratch. I'm not confident PlatformPro will migrate easily, if at all, to our new product as there are major differences.

#3 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

I was afraid of this ...  (though I am not certain this is the issue)

right now, I am not really wanting to spend time migrating ....   and if I have to rebuild from scratch, well, I'd just assume then take a step back to look at all the platform options.

I know.  nothing lasts forever. ; )    

Thanks.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Cornell,

I just checked your site in IE10, Firefox and Chrome.

No magazine mode posts, so presuming you changed that manually.

No problem with the lines appearing, though in IE, your slider is pushed down about 1/2-inch, so that the bottom of the slider is at the very bottom of the background's black area, not vertically centered as in FF and Chrome.

And in Chrome, your site loads rather weirdly. being black from the bottom of the 1st post down for a second or so, then snapping into a white background.

Like you, I was also afraid there would be a corruption of PlatformPro.  We've been expecting that with WP 3.6, it will break because of some WP's changes. As plugin developers push updates to accommodate 3.6, things tend to break.

#5 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

I turned off magazine format until I can figure out what's going on.

I will change it back, temporarily  (for a few hours), so you see.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hi there,

The only thing I can think of to try and fix it would be to use css to set a height for each clip, technically forcing them to be a certain size. That way they'd hopefully line up regardless of the content inside of each.

#7 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, but I'm having trouble finding the classes that I need to tweak.   Suggestions?

#8 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2385 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hello Cornell 

Can you give us some examples of things you have tried and we can suggest tweaks?

#9 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Did I say anywhere that I tried any real tweaks? I said I was having trouble (even using a handful of tools) in finding the proper platformpro classes that I need to modify (as per your suggestion)

right now, the only - only thing I can see is .clip_border .... and this merely highlights how badly the magazine clips (not featured) are placed, now. Other than that - it gets rather convoluted (for me) to find, even when scrutinizing the clips, I could not find any classes etc where I could effect any changes.

I was hoping the good folks at Pagelines, monitoring this board, would know enough about their architecture to suggest places that I can tweak and fix.

Thanks! I appreciate you looking in and helping.

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi there,

Try the below, tweak the figure to suit the page etc.

#pagelines_content .clip, {
    height300px;
}

• cornell2 likes this

#11 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

take a look:

http://metapreneurship.net/blog/

you will see the effect of just 2 changes

#pagelines_content .clip, { height: 300px; }
.clip_box {border-color: green; }

and it is not pretty.

I will leave it like this (in magazine mode) for as long as I can.

Here is a link to an annotated screenshot:

I'll try to upload to this post (though it is big)

thanks!

blog_bug_screenshot.jpg

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Every time we look at the site (our replies are not instantaneous), it is not in magazine mode. Please leave it in that mode for at least 48 hours for us to make sure we can review it thoroughly.  Without being able to see what actually happens, it's impossible to provide proper support. 

#13 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

So, the annotated screenshot didn't help?

I will try to keep the buggy blog page turned on - but hate the prospect of people visiting my page to see such a badly formatted site.

Thanks

#14 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

The annotations helped us to see what's happening, but don't help us to look at the code to see why.  I'm here now, so please put it in Magazine mode until we can give you answers. 

#15 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have.
Http://metapreneurship.net/blog

Will keep it that way as long as I can

#16 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

You added

.clip_box {

border-color: green;

}

Change that to

.clip_box {

border-color: none;

}

It will get rid of the lines.

To fix the bottom group alignment,  since you have it set to 1 full width plus additional magazine mode clips, we need to manage the clips.  The last one, for some reason, is getting the clip-right instruction for some unknown reason.

So, we'll simply need to adjust your settings to make sure that you have 1 post plus an an even number of magazine clips.  This means making the total number of posts displayed into an odd numeric value.  So, let's say 5 posts would mean 1 full width and 4 magazine mode posts.  The two bottom ones would be aligned correctly because there are two.

You can also change, alternatively, the number of full width posts from 1 to 2, leaving the number of posts the same.

#17 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

OMG, Listen, I KNOW you are only trying to help, with the best of intentions.
but really. really.
Sure - to hide the lines I could make them transparent (and did) ... but that is NOT solving the problem!

Those lines are dividing lines that are supposed to (and used to) appear BETWEEN clips (and column width) now they all appear jumbled on top.,

Second. The clip-area lengths: they USED to automatically pad so the clips appeared side by side in equal column heights. OF COURSE I can comically struggle to produce excerpts so that the clips align ... but why the heck would I do such a workaround???

The issue is, somehow, platformpro got broken - not sure if it was due to something with paltformpro, a wordpress update or a plugin conflict (though I have gone through disabling lots of stuff).

The issue is .. the clip classes no longer work properly. I was looking to see if I could get someone here to identify the names of the classes I could look at to fix. (making the lines transparent is not fixing the problem, in all candor).

there is no class dictionary for platformpro for me to find these classes.And in this case, using firebug and other tools is not uncovering the classes. At the magazine clip level, the way the code and classes are used, are just too deep and convoluted to reverse engineer.

Now then,if I am the ONLY person to experience this new behavior in platformpro (corruption of magazine format) - then this is huge information for me (pretty much narrows down to plugin conflict or a bug in my custom code).

Thanks again for your help.

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Cornell,

I'm trying to help you deal with a deprecated product that's not even supposed to be supported anymore. We don't even publish the docs for it on our site now.  We've recommended that an upgrade is in order, and did that when Framework came out in December 2011.  I don't quite know what to say but if you're not happy with these workarounds, and won't upgrade, you should expect continued degradation of the site.  I cannot help it if you're using an outdated product.

You don't seem to understand too, that WordPress updates things, and pushes them along, and all third party plugins do the same thing, if they're current.  Any update to some service you don't even know is on your site, like jquery or ajax can break something.  This is why it's critical to keep your site up to date.   The solutions I provided will fix the issue you presented us with, but since support for PlatformPro is now over, and the product deprecated, there's really nothing else that can be offered. 

I'm sorry, particularly that you did not like the help provided. I had to use Firebug, just as you would.  There is no help, no guide, no listing of code I can look up, since the product is out of date.  I'm one of only two moderators who even used PlatformPro, and of those, I'm the only one who even remembers how it works.

Your customizations are part of the problem.  The elements in the CSS are another as they too are outdated.  Plugins could be a problem.  WordPress is definitely part of it, and with WP 3.6, I'm expecting, and told everyone, PlatformPro will probably break down completely.  Those issues are all out of our control and completely in yours.  We've done what we can to advise, recommend, and urge our clients to upgrade. 

I understand your frustration, but your expectations here seem to be that we can provide some miraculous fix for something that's officially dead.

#19 cornell2

cornell2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

I understand the product is out of date ...and I do understand the platformpro is depreciated and wordpress and jquery continue to update (and have made that clear, so saying that "I don't seem to understand" - is a little condescending and unnecessary.) I was looking for insights as to what got broken, andinsights as to whether this was JUST on my site or for all platformpro magazine formats.

If I wanted to HIDE the problem, I could just turn magazine format off - which is what I did. It seems unlikely that a wordpress or other update, would affect JUST that one feature.

And as far as css documentation- there has NEVER been any meaningful level of css documentation for this product, even when it was brand new.

Certainly I will be looking for another platform for my site/blog. The process and support from pagelines over the past 2 years has been so painful, that they made the alternative very clear:Anything *but* a pagelines platform.

Thanks again for your help and time you've put in to trying to answer my questions.

#20 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way.  The help provided was given with the best of intent to help you fix the issue.  My answer was not condescending, nor meant to be. It was a statement of facts, and my best effort to help you understand the parameters, conditions and circumstances causing your problem, and to help you with your expectations for support. 

More so, I'm very sorry you feel that way about PageLines products.