21 replies to this topic

#1 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

I'm just not sure if it's caused by Pagelines, or the other plugins...

On this page: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

i have tabbed content.

Two things I noticed:

- shortcodes from plugin Hanacode insert not working anymore;

- nRelate was showing twice.

After contacting nRelate, that problem was solved.

However, now I also found out that the sharebar from Jetpack is not visible anymore. This is also the case on my other page with tabbed content:

I contacted Jetpack also, but I'm curious if this is them adjusting there code to Pagelines theme, or is it them correcting bad coding and was that the reason it didn't work.

Reason for asking: the 'tools' from pagelines are not much fun this way ;-).

Kind regards,

Willem

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi WIllem,

It's possible there was some javascript, jQuery or other update that was pushed by someone along the line that created a conflict. An update or change can be pushed from some plugin that isn't even related to the affected areas of your site, but causes the issues.  From an analytical perspective, it would seem odd, as I hope you'll agree, that suddenly, out of all the things one your site, and all the things in Jetpack, only the social media would disappear.  That sounds like a simple conflict.

As for the Hanacode plugin not working, I don't know why you need it, as PageLines won't prevent javascript or Google AdSense from working in your site.   This sounds like it might simply be caused by a difference in Javascript versions. As you know, we're expecting to release our new version next week, and it's possible an updated version of Javascript has already been pushed. I don't know if that's true, but just possible.

You know there have been some conflicts with Jetpack over the past two months. I don't use it, so I'm not sure if they've released any updates lately.  Have they?

We are really not getting other complaints such as this, which isn't to diminish your topic but only to say it may just be a set of circumstances unique to your site, combination of plugins or server configuration.  It's very hard to tell.

Meanwhile, some of the tools are coming from Twitter Bootstrap, so it's possible even Twitter pushed a change.  Unfortunately they don't tell us what they're doing.  You may not like hearing this, any more than i like saying it, but try deactivating some plugins to see if the problem is related to any third-party plugins. 

I'll ask our developers as soon as I see them, if they know of anything.

• Willem-Siebe Spoelstra likes this

#3 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for you answer. I will do all the research from my end as you adviced, and will let you know my findings or reply's I get from plugin authors.

Kind regards,

Willem

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi Willem

Keep us posted :-)

#5 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi, like I told you nRelate did solve my problem (it was showing twice on the pages with tabbed content), this was what they told me:

@willem-siebe spoelstra — We found that this issue was being caused by your complex theme, so to fix it we basically created a custom script for our plugin code that ignores the placeholders that appear on the tabs for this page so that the plugin would no longer show twice.

- Katrina @ nRelate

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Excellent.

#7 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

Like I explained I had problems with the sharebar from the Jetpack plugin, because this is not showing on the pages where I included 'tabs' for my content. When I remove this tabbed content, the sharebar pops up again.

Although nRelate did solve the problem finally, this is the reply from Jetpack. What do you have to say about this? Don't hope I get in the middle of this with the problem not being solved, little bit afraid for it ;-). 

Hi Willem,

I had a look, and it truly seems to be an issue with Pagelines. As I understand it, Pagelines is a theme framework, correct? To be certain that the problem is with Pagelines, can you install TwentyEleven or TwentyTwelve and switch to that theme? I didn't want to do that in your staging server for you. Once confirmed that it is with Pagelines, I think you'll need to wait for the response from their developers that was mentioned in the thread that you quoted, since the issue seems to be on their end. Once you get a response from them, please let me know so that I can see if there's anything more we can do on our end.

Best,

Richard - Happiness Engineer

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi Willem,

I'd suggest testing the Twenty Eleven or Twenty Twelve themes to see if the issue exists there too. Since that's Jetpack's sharebar and not ours, it might well work in either of those themes.  However, if it does, you could simply use our sharebar and test it in place of the Jetpack version. I know our sharebar works perfectly with tabbed content from our shortcodes.

#9 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi Rob,

What purpose is the test to switch to Twenty Eleven or Twenty Twelve, the shortcode for the tabbed content are not going to work in these themes right?

When the tabbed content isn't there (I already tested that)., than the sharebar of Jetpack has no problems to show up on those two pages where I use tabbed content.

Kind regards,

Willem

#10 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi Rob,

This is what I got recently from Jetpack:

Thanks Willem.

I took a closer look at the function creating the tabbed content, and the problem seems to be related to the way Pagelines calls the post content within the shortcode.

We'll take a closer look, and see if we can solve this conflict. I'll get back to you as soon as I have some news.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

We have thousands who use Jetpack with PageLines and don't have a problem, so I must conclude that either there's a problem in the way you're adding content (which should be supported by Jetpack) or, with your Jetpack installation, which is again a WordPress issue.

That tabbed shortcode is Twitter Bootstrap, so it could work in another theme for testing.

#12 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi Rob, 

True, it is Twitter Bootstrap. If I use the code from the Twitter Bootstrap page (

), everything is working normally, also Jetpack. I don't need to switch themes for that. However, instead of having to use the HTML from Twitter Bootstrap, you provide us with Shortcodes on this page: 

(look for tabs). This is only working on Pagelines so can't be tested in an other theme.

But having this shortcodes causes problems with:

- nRelate (solved by nRelate)

- Jetpack

- Hanacode Insert

So multiple things are not working anymore. I use the exact shortcode example you provided on the tools page to do the testing, so I'm 200% positive it's not a problem in the way I'm adding content, I'm just using your shortcodes that you provide me... I'm not that technical, but shortcodes should make my live easier and don't break things in my opinion ;-).

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Willem-Siebe

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Willem, when you paste shortcode to your site, do you do it in VIsual Mode or Text Mode (the two tabs on the edit screen, on the right above the editing tools)? 

You should use Text Mode.

#14 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yes I do use text mode for this (or html).

#15 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi, When Rob says Text Mode, he is referring to the tabs name on the Content Editor.

#16 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hi Danny, I know, I'm using the one you both are referring to.

#17 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi all,

Any news on this?

It really seems to be a problem with the pagelines shortcodes.

This I received from Jetpack after they did some research:

I took a closer look at the function creating the tabbed content, and the problem seems to be related to the way Pagelines calls the post content within the shortcode.

#18 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

So your issue is that when you add the PageLines tab shortcode to your page, the JetPack sharebar doesn't appear  and when you remove the tab shortcode the sharebar appears ?

#19 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Totally right, and this is the latest I got from Jetpack/Sharebar:

Hi!

Jeremy is off this week, so I'm giving this a new set of eyes. I'll preface this with I'm not familiar with Pagelines, so please do run this by them for verification on if anything else will break from what I'm about to say :-)

Jetpack adds the sharing buttons via an add_filter to the_content, aiming to add them to the end of the_content, since that is the most universal way to do so with the fewest number of potential theme conflicts.

With the tab shortcodes, specifically the pl_tabcontent shortcode, on line 1295 of class.shortcodes.php (based on the files you sent us before), the content within those tabs are is also having the_content filters applied to them.

By changing line 1295 to do_shortcode( $content ) (instead of do_shortcode( apply_filters('the_content', $content)), the sharing buttons return for me in my testing. Like I said, I'mnot sure if changing that breaks anything particular with Pagelines and I only tested it with the sample code that is included in the inline documentation for that shortcode.

If nothing else, by apply those filters for each tabbed section, even if we determined the issues and worked around them, the sharing buttons would be added to each tab. In this case, they fail gracefully, instead of over-populating themselves on your site.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Brandon Kraft
Happiness Engineer | Jetpack & WordPress.com

#20 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

OK, I don't actually at the moment have a live test site I can run a test on. So I have added a message to both James/Martin and informed one of our devs.