3 replies to this topic

#1 zcademy

zcademy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNortheast North America, Earth

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have an "is this possible" question.

First, the tech stuff. I'm using PageLines 2.4.4, and will switch to DMS when it's available. My clients site is hidden behind a Coming Soon page, but I don't think you need to see the site. I'm pretty good with html and css, can do "cut and paste" php, and am poor at javascript.

Background: My client hired me to build an online catalog. Products for sale will each have a blog post, with one of a couple dozen categories.  My client wants a "slideshow" of photos of products in that category on the autogenerated product list page (the Blog template). The list of "Living Room" products should have a different slideshow than the "Kitchen" list, etc. These photos will not be the featured images on posts, but other images that will only be in the "slideshow".

I would like to use Feature Sets for the photos, with a different set for each category. This will make it easy for my client to add/change the photos. I'm willing to use a different system of displaying images, if that works better.

My Question: is it possible for the autogenerated Blog template to use different Feature Sets based on the Category used for the Blog posts?

Example: A customer selects "Living Room" to see the autogenerated list of products for the living room, AND a slideshow of photos of living room stuff. The customeer then selects "Kitchen" and sees the autogenerated list of kitchen products AND the slideshow contains kitchen photos.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hi,

Actually, the blog template isn't the one you need to worry about.

You can create a static page for the category, and include the features on the template (like Template 1).  You can add other things to the page, such as PostPins, or, if you wish, to pull blog posts, you can add something like AnyLoop (our Store) or Special Recent Posts (Wordpress.org).

You create a feature set for each category, pulling slides from post featured images (thumbnails). Keep in mind, the description will be the manual excerpt field in the product post page. 

Then, on your custom category page, just use Template 1 (the one you added the Features to), and go to PageLines Meta Settings.  Select the corresponding Feature Set and you'll have an automated slider for each category.  Below it, you can have anything you wish, based on the template created.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know. It's actually really easy to do, but harder to explain.

#3 zcademy

zcademy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNortheast North America, Earth

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am a bit confused.

Let me see if I understand:

- I need to make one static page for each category (meaning my client can't add new categories by herself). The category listing pages will no longer be auto-generated; all links will point to the correct static page.

- The static Category pages get their own page template. On that template, I can include a plugin or section that will pull all blog posts in the static page's category.

- I can set up the static category page with any feature set I'd like (I know how to do this). Note: I *won't* be using post thumbnails, but "product in use" photos from my client.

This sounds good, except if my client wants 88 gazillion categories, sub-categories, sub-sub-categories .... hmm ... maybe I can use this to limit her and keep the design sensible!

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

If your client is using 88 gazillion categories etc, as you suggest,  then yes, you'd be in a pickle, and so would they. The organizational skills required to handle all those categories is monumental.  I know, personally, having a large food site with over 250,000 posts and hundreds of cats and sub-cats.   Unfortunately, the way our Framework system works, at present, when going to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options, selecting Category Page > Features you only have one option for selecting a feature set. And while this can be done by setting the slides to source from 'a' category, it cannot have a different set for each category.   This is why I recommended the method of individual static pages.

I hope you can convince your client.

I need to make one static page for each category (meaning my client can't add new categories by herself). The category listing pages will no longer be auto-generated; all links will point to the correct static page.

Actually, your client can create new categories, but must also create a static page to go with it, using the template you've created for it.  The actual category listing pages will still be auto-generated, and will still be accessible.