Photo
- - - - -

customization plugin

404 customization plugin

Best Answer Rob , 14 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Clearly you're not reading my replies correctly and do not understand this is not a theme or a platform. It is a framework and as such, doesn't work like a theme.

You should also understand that every plugin and WordPress can push updates.  So if you want a completely update-free environment, you may just need to build a content management system from scratch.  That is the 'only' way you'll be able to micro-manage the updates as you'd control them.  Our major updates are definitely controllable, as you get the option to install them or not. 

I have actually answered your question, but if you insist on changing the question with each reply this topic will go on ad infinitum.  You have been informed that the customize plugin is used to prevent changes and overwritten files.  If you edit the wrong .less file, you can corrupt your entire site.  We do not support and won't explain further that .less files in the core framework should not be edited.  We wrote this framework to give you a great system for site design and control. The customize plugin is not mandatory.  However, if you break your site by editing core files you'll have violated your licence and will not get support past being told to reinstall the framework.

Kindly, when using this forum, do not tell us HOW to answer your questions or what we should or shouldn't say.  We answer topics in the most professional way possible. Not only is it bad netiquette, but it is not efficient use of your time or ours to continually challenge or question our support.  I have given you detailed explanations of this matter.

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I am trying to understand how to run the customization plugin.

Plenty of 404s on this topic.

Here they are:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Please advise on links to using/documentation for the customization plugin.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

First, our documentation is located here: 

Next, to explain the Customize plugin, it is not something you 'run', but something that functions in the background.  It is a place for you to add protected customizations -- protected from updates to the Framework.  So, if you want to protect CSS, add it to the style.css file there.  Hooks can be protected by adding them to functions.php.  This ensures you'll be able to easily access them when needed, and that they won't be overwritten by updates.

Please see:

#3 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Let's say I disabled the pagelines' updates.

With this issue aside, I don't see any need to use this plug in since I have to place the code inside a .less file in the plugin folder either way. That is why not simply CHANGE any .less file of interest and that is it.

Am I missing something? What does this plug in exactly do besides slowing down my WP Installation?

This is the question, i.e., plugin how to use documentation.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

If you disable the PageLines updates, you risk the security and functionality of your site.  That is not advisable.

I'm not sure why you'd not want to use the PageLines Customize plugin, as it adds no load to your site.  Since the code it sets aside for protection, it's not adding extra code that wouldn't be somewhere else. 

Only two places are secure from updates. Base Theme and PageLines Customize.  The updates are really essential, as a security gap can develop due to third party plugins, and if we push a fix to prevent your site being hacked, you won't get it. I don't think risking your site's security would be a good thing.

#5 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I understand that it is your opinion that updates are critical.

Updating of a theme might introduce undesired functionality - this is why I prefer manual updates if at all.

Pushing of code is something I don't like due to potential unexpected behaviors of the newly pushed code.

Despite your care for your customers, I prefer my control over my site, which is why I prefer to initiate any updates on my own.

The topic of my question was not why updates are necessary or how to manage my site - it asked about low level coding in theme files in order to change the appearance of design features in your platform.

Of course, there are ways to accomplish a task, I prefer the one that is easier for me to do.

The main question of this topic is stil unanswered: in an environment with disabled updates, what are the benefits of customize plugin vs. editing the .less files directly and uploading them in the core installation? This implies that there are backups.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:38 PM   Best Answer

Clearly you're not reading my replies correctly and do not understand this is not a theme or a platform. It is a framework and as such, doesn't work like a theme.

You should also understand that every plugin and WordPress can push updates.  So if you want a completely update-free environment, you may just need to build a content management system from scratch.  That is the 'only' way you'll be able to micro-manage the updates as you'd control them.  Our major updates are definitely controllable, as you get the option to install them or not. 

I have actually answered your question, but if you insist on changing the question with each reply this topic will go on ad infinitum.  You have been informed that the customize plugin is used to prevent changes and overwritten files.  If you edit the wrong .less file, you can corrupt your entire site.  We do not support and won't explain further that .less files in the core framework should not be edited.  We wrote this framework to give you a great system for site design and control. The customize plugin is not mandatory.  However, if you break your site by editing core files you'll have violated your licence and will not get support past being told to reinstall the framework.

Kindly, when using this forum, do not tell us HOW to answer your questions or what we should or shouldn't say.  We answer topics in the most professional way possible. Not only is it bad netiquette, but it is not efficient use of your time or ours to continually challenge or question our support.  I have given you detailed explanations of this matter.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17600 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Firstly, we do not recommend edits to the core files nor do we support it and I honestly do not understand anyone who wants to edit the core files, do you do the same for Wordpress too ?

The PageLines Framework receives updates for a reason, like Rob mentioned above not updating your theme voids you from receiving support, until you update to the latest version and can pose a security risk.

The sole purpose of the Customize Plugin is to allow users to customize PageLines Framework with custom CSS/LESS CSS and hooks and prevents their customizations from be overwritten via updates. The customize plugin also supports custom rtl.css and language folder for translations.

This information is available on our documentation, which also compares the three customizations methods.

#8 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I am sure you have all the answers.

But to your surprise, I can only tell you there are ways to block plugins from pushing code without building a CMS from scratch.

This aside, your firm's marketing language with its "fine" distinctions between platform and framework is beyond the scope of my interests.

What I am interested in is to have a functional product under my terms. And clearly the reason why I am wasting time writing here is because your product does NOT deliver as advertised and expected.

The usage of terms such as ad infinitum (italic) is a sign of attempts to patronize and overwhelm the other party, and is not welcome.

Whether you like it or not, you were paid to help users solve their platform/framework/whatever issues and not to patronize them.

You could have simply stated that editing of .less files is not supported in the first place, than beating around the bush.

If you could at least a bit leave the box you're in, you could see that the difficulties I encounter could be a business opportunity if properly addressed in future updates. But I am not here to lecture and I am not a framework named pagelines employee (thanks God!).

My concern is that I paid and that I am not getting the service as expected.
But according to other users too, THIS is something to be expected from pagelines.

Your options at this point are to quickly delete this thread so it's no longer visible to other users and the glory of your beautiful whatever remains untarnished.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thank you for your input.  The topic is marked resolved and is locked from further replies.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17600 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Firstly, I apologise if you feel that I have been patronising you, this wasn't the intention. We're simply trying to inform you, that you we do not recommend nor support edits to core files.

My concern is that I paid and that I am not getting the service as expected.
But according to other users too, THIS is something to be expected from pagelines.

Not sure what service you're referring to, we do not state anywhere that we provide support to users who edit core files.

If you wish to proceed and edit the core files, you're free to do so and if you choose to proceed, there isn't any reason why you would need to use the Customize plugin. However, the Base Theme and Customize Plugin have both been created so users don't have to edit core files.

• batman likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 404, customization plugin