Photo
Accordions

Can accordion content be searched?

Best Answer paulhibbitts , 15 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info Ellen and the suggestions, I'll explore both further.

I agree that it would be helpful to have the option to make PageLines special post types searchable.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paulhibbitts

paulhibbitts

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Hello,

I just bought your Accordions plugin and I really love the auto-scroll feature!

A question though - I've got a test page using a test accordion (http://hibbittsdesig...ues-guide-test/), but I cannot seem to get it to appear in the search results when I search for a string that is contained on that test page.

Is there anything special I need to do in order for search results to include content in Accordion Sets?

Thanks very much,

Paul

#2 danmanders

danmanders

• Members

• 23 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi Paul, are you doing the search with Google, or through the search function on your site? I just checked my accordion set, and Google is finding the content just fine, although it doesn't seem to want to pick up the titles of each accordion. I didn't do anything special to enable this. If it helps, my site is http://phillydogschool.com.

#3 paulhibbitts

paulhibbitts

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks danmanders. It is through the search function on my site which does not seem to be locating text within the accordion set.

#4 ellenmva

ellenmva

• Members

• 247 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the Accordions aren't searchable with regular WordPress search function -- just like Boxes and Banners -- since each is a separate custom post. It's a pet peeve of mine with Pagelines special post types.

However there are a couple of plugins that you can get that will have accordions show up in your site search, Google Custom Search and Swiftype, both of which crawl each website page and return the search results. Google Custom Search has a daily limit to the number of searches before they charge and Swiftype has both a free and paid version.

Hope that helps.

Ellen

#5 paulhibbitts

paulhibbitts

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:08 PM   Best Answer

Thanks for the info Ellen and the suggestions, I'll explore both further.

I agree that it would be helpful to have the option to make PageLines special post types searchable.

• flourishdesignstudio likes this

#6 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

• Members

• 245 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York
  • Framework Version:all

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

I've tried using both of the alternate search options for our new site, but when you get the search results and click on a link to an accordion, you get an error 404. :( Is there any way to speed up having accordion content included in Pagelines Search functionality? Or are there any other options?

#7 ellenmva

ellenmva

• Members

• 247 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

@flourishdesignstudio I just added a shortcode so you can put Accordions within page/post content and with a plugin like Relevassi Search which searches shortcode content you can search accordions on a page. But the shortcode has to be in where you write a post/page -- not in a Pagelines Section like textbox since Pagelines Sections aren't searchable content on a page.

Update to the latest version of Accordions -- 1.4.1 and put [accordions accordion_set = accordion_set_slug] and replace accordion_set_slug with the slug for the accordion set you want to display.

You can find the Accordion Set Slug by going to Accordions --> Accordion Sets

Screenshot_8_28_13_12_02_PM.png

There are more attributes/options for the shortcode. Below is a list with the defaults. If you don't include an attribute in the shortcode it will pick up the default values.

accordion_orderby= ID (default), title, date, modified or random
            accordion_order = DESC (default) or ASC,
            accordion_title_color = #000000 (Default),
            accordion_background = #f2f2f2 (Default),
            content_color = #000000 (Default),
            content_background = #ffffff (Default),
            accordion_icon = no (Default) or yes,
            accordion_open = no (Default) or yes,
            accordion_first = no (Default) or yes,
            accordion_set = default-accordions (Default) or put in accordion set slug,
            accordions_id => rand() (Default) or give an id for greater control

So if you want your accordions to have the title with a black background and white text your shortcode would be:

[accordions accordion_set = accordion_set_slug accordion_title_color = #ffffff #accordion_background = #000000]

Hope that helps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accordions