documentation and tweaks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

1. I'm trying to find a webpage link to pagelines documentation.

Previous/older links have been disactivated, some of the newer links are more than basic and contain a lot of 404s. Some of the pages only have new DMS system documentation!

2. I am using Boxes in a page. The page layout is content section and 1 sidebar on either side of the page. The box section appears dis-centered with respect to content section. Question: images and text in boxes are only left aligned, how do I change them to centered or right aligned?

3. how do I add text to a search box (e.g., Enter text here so some users know they have to enter text there). How do I add a Go button to the search box - some users might not know to press Enter to perform the search? How do I label the search box as Search and this to appear above or below the search box?

Thanks,

#2 dario

dario

• Members

• 115 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Yes, Dario is correct. That is the URL for

Where are you seeing 404s?

#4 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks for the info.

Any input for questions 2 and 3?

404s on docs.pagelines.com

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

On point 2,  Images in boxes are best aligned using CSS.

That said, it might be more effective, and easier for CSS purposes, to use PageLines' Grid System found at

You'll notice we have some CSS already structured into classes you can use in the grid.  So, if you have one row with images, just wrap each image in a div with the centering class and close the div after each image.  Your text will be left, the image centered and almost all by copy and paste. It's also fully responsive!

On point 3+, you can place the search box in a sidebar, then place a text widget above or below it in the same sidebar.  Add any text in the text widget to guide your visitors.  The search field in the navigation may pose difficulties in setting up a text area.

If you go with the sidebar method, as you add the Search widget, you can title it, 'Search', so that it appears above the field.  You can inform visitors about using the field and pressing 'Enter' in your description.   Unfortunately, modifying the search in the menu bar is an unsupported activity.

I use Google Search, which has a "Go" button.

#6 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

on question 3:

I've tried the text widget and it looks horrible.

I need to find an alternative solution.

Specifically, which pagelines framework file contains the code in which I can:

- edit/modify the word SEARCH that appears in the search field in Firefox

- control the search field size

for the search field as widget?

#7 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

on question 2, boxes,

where do I enter the grid system code? Boxes are dragged in the page.

#8 dario

dario

• Members

• 115 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

on question 3:
I've tried the text widget and it looks horrible.

I need to find an alternative solution.
Specifically, which pagelines framework file contains the code in which I can:
- edit/modify the word SEARCH that appears in the search field in Firefox
- control the search field size

for the search field as widget?

This might work to change the word from 'search' in a widget, though it's for the navbar search (post #2):

And this for changing the search field size, again for a navbar search (post #2):

#9 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

I found a way to change the Search worh in the search place holder.

I could not find a way to get a longer box or customize the Searchbox.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

You are going to have a very difficult time changing the size, width or nature of the searchfield in the menu.  It is a variable size and thus requires the expertise of a professional to avoid all sorts of issues.

If you are not a skilled coder with a Developer license (and skills)  I cannot recommend cloning and editing sections.   That's not a supported activity.  Doing so could make the search field unusable; could corrupt the menu, and could also cause you to get error messages on your page, rather than your content.

It is very complicated and risky.  Should you break the site, we couldn't provide support except to have you reinstall.

What was wrong with the text widget that couldn't be fixed with CSS?

#11 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Id

You are going to have a very difficult time changing the size, width or nature of the searchfield in the menu.  It is a variable size and thus requires the expertise of a professional to avoid all sorts of

If you are not a skilled coder with a Developer license (and skills)  I cannot recommend cloning and editing sections.   That's not a supported activity.  Doing so could make the search field unusable; could corrupt the menu, and could also cause you to get error messages on your page, rather than your content.

It is very complicated and risky.  Should you break the site, we couldn't provide support except to have you reinstall.

What was wrong with the text widget that couldn't be fixed with CSS?

I appreciate your concerns however I would appreciate more the fact if you provided the files to be edited together with your expressed concerns. My understanding is that I can do whatever I want with/in my website. Therefore, give me the tools and it will remain my decision how to use them.

The text/html widget looks displaced (too far away from the search box itself). I prefer customizing the searchfield instead.

WHAT I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED from paid support was something similar to:

- open forms.less file in folder so and so by using your preferred txt/php ftp linked editor

- search for section /* @ Search Form */

- in there you will find:

width:

.searchfield{
        width:,

&:focus{

background-color:#fff;
            color:#000;
            width: 195px;

- edit variables width: and your mission is accomplished.

This is not going to mess with any search function as you implied above. .less files are only some design related files.

I would like to understand a reason why I should not use this method.

Your customize plugin does not have any documentation (all 404s) and does not appear in my interface, although installed as a standard plugin from WP.

Your Custom CSS code does not explain where is the custom code going to be inserted, and this is why I prefer editing a file with a known location.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hi,

To clarify, the support provided in the forum is not 'paid support' per se. You get forum support with your license.

We do not support customizing core files, which is clearly stated everywhere. And I've advised you that this is not a supported modification.  Thus I did not do as you 'WOULD HAVE EXPECTED'.  That said,  if you want to play with it, knowing we will not assist if you break your site, feel free to FTP to your site navigate to wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections and find the section for your navigation.  Since you've not properly provided a link in your profile, I don't know which menu option you selected.

Copy the folder to your desktop.

Make sure you have installed and activated Base Theme.

Open the section folder on your desktop and open the sections.php file.  Find the applicable code for the search field.

When finished with the changes you seek to apply, save the file, close the folder and upload it to the Base (child) Theme's sections folder located in wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme. It will automatically implement, with no activation necessary.

You may wish to see: 

#13 cdadjl13

cdadjl13

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Dear Rob

I believe we need some clarifications here. Posting 3 requests in one topic appears to be too much. The fact I did not “properly” provide a website should not be of your concern – I am describing general issues with the common pagelines interface.

Therefore, re. questions I asked:

Question 1: solved

Question 2: I am not trying to align images within boxes, I am trying to get box icons aligned in the page. I use Boxes feature, I select the number of boxes to be displayed. This is where I have the issue of boxes not looking properly aligned. All Box icons appear left aligned.

So the question is still there: where do I enter the grid system code from your explanation? Does it apply to my concern as explained just above?

If my issue is not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to add additional details.

Question 3:

How do I customize the SEARCH box by whatever method you indicate? Customization should include changing the size of the search window, font color, size, and so on. Your answers to this one were less than clear or informative. This is why I had to find ways to get this done.

Now onto support:

I paid for the developer edition with plus.
I encountered design problems and I contacted support from within the interface.

In the reply I received, I was told to take it to the forums - this is somewhat confusing, why would you add contact support in subscriber's interface if the subscriber is then sent to the forums?

Here I am in forums, I paid for plus which includes support and you comment that I did not pay for support?

If I am too intense with my questions, it would be better not to post anything as replies. This clutters the thread. I would appreciate it if you could drop the ownership of this thread and allow some of your other developers reply to it.