12 replies to this topic

#1 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hello Pagelines,

Although, I have done a few wordpress sites, I have only done one with Pagelines and the default template/layout I used was the full width layout.

I have recently been asked to do a new site for a friend and it needs a full width slider to go under the header/branding & navigation section, but then it needs a right sidebar to go under the full width slider and to the right of the content.

When I looked at my availabvle layout options I see several right column layout options, but none that allow for a full width slider...  I am sure that this is an easy fix, but again I am still fairly new to all this.

I am attaching a wireframe to what I am looking to do.

I really appreciate any guideance you can provide me here.

Thanks,

Scott

Attached Files

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Scott,

Presumably you will not use the full width slider on every single page, post, category, archive, search page, 404 error, etc.  That would be rather annoying, as I'm sure you know, to your visitors. However, if that's your wish,  then I recommend

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

as it's a background slider.  As such, you can have key components of your site, like the menu, branding and other parts over it.

Let me know if that works for you.

#3 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks.  You are correct.  I do not want this anywhere, but on the homepage.  I already have a background-image on the site, so I can't do a background slider.  I was hoping to use the Royal Slider (

) on the homepage, becaaue I need to support video as well as images with html blocks.

So, again, I just want a way to have my homepage slider go the full width of the content-pad, but then have a two column layout below the slider.  Should I try adding the slider to the header and then select the two column right layout?  I think the problem with would be that I don't want it on all pages.  So, I really just need a solution to the homepage.

Thakns,

Scott

#4 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ok, so I am playing with doing a full width sidebar about the content on a template.  I may have figured this out.

Thanks,

Scott

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Keep us posted!

#6 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi Rob, unfortunately, I am not able to get my royal slider plugin to work in the Full Width Sidebar widget area.  Any suggesting or recommendations on layout options or slider plugins that you know work with the widgets?

Thanks,

Scott

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi there, even if the slider is set to full width in the layout via the full width sections, it will be contained inside the content area of the page, are you looking for the slider to go from left-right of the browser window rather than the content pad? You're wire frame image seems to show it going to the edge of the content-pad, which is the effect you should have showing at the moment from what you've described. 

If you could take some screenshots of the live page or let us have a url to the page so we can see how the slider is displaying currently.

#8 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

I am trying to go the full width of the content pad, which I did get implemented by draging the full width sidebar in the content area (above the content drag and drop piece).  The royal slider wan't working, but I just got the Slider Reveolution working

So I think for now I am good, unless there is a better way to do this that you would recommend.

Thanks,

Scott

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi there,

If it's a third party slider then that would be the best way to implement it, inside of the sidebar using a text widgit or a contentbox (free section downloaded from the pl store). As far as I'm aware both options will take shortcodes so their shouldn't be a problem with the slider.

#10 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

OK, I have a new problem with my solution.  How would I put a unique slider on each page of my site?  I added the slider I am using for the homepage to the Full Width Sidebar, but now it shows up on all my pages.  I would like a different slider or static hero on each page, but still need the content under it to the left and a right sidebar under the hero slider area as well.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Scott

#11 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hi Scott

If you're looking for different sliders on each template, the only way i can think that you'd be able to create that using the previously suggested format would be to use a plugin like 'widget logic'. This plugin will allow you to on/off widgets depending on a particular page. So you could drag in a widget for each new slider you wanted to add, then use widget logic to control when and where they displayed.

#12 munts

munts

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

I will give this a try.

Thanks again,

Scott

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Scott, 

Just as an FYI... our Feature Slider, and Quick Slider can be set up in the Template under Page Templates, then for Feature Slider, you can select a Features Set on a per-page basis.  For Quick Slider, you can use the PageLines Meta Settings on the page to upload and include slides on a per-page basis as well. If the slides are as wide as your layout, then you'll have the effect you desire.   See this as an example: 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Layout, full width slider, right sidebar