• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jessicab

jessicab

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi there,

I would like to set up a magazine layout format on my home page, which is here: www.toolsforchange.net.   The thing is I also want to maintain the features section on the home page.  How would I go about doing this?

You help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Jessica Bell

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi Jessica

If you set your blog page to use magazine mode in Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts this will set your blog page to display in a two column format.

The postloop section is inside the content area, so as long as you add the features above them in the template, either inside to the content area or the page template area. Check which template your page is using before making the edits to ensure you're effecting the correct template :-)

#3 jessicab

jessicab

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hi there,

Thank you.  I have done this, however, when I follow these instructions the posts disappear from the front page.    The feature is still present and the side bar is present.

The one way I can get them back is to reactive the plugin "post page associator" here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.  However, when I do this the posts are full width.

Is there an alternative way to associate posts to the front page and have them as magazine layout?  Is ther a post page associator equivalent for Pagelines or can I do this within Pagelines itself?

Jess.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi there,

Looking at your page I can see posts but they seem to be in full width mode, not magazine -

#5 jessicab

jessicab

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yes, there are in full width mode. I think this is because the "post page associator" gives you the option of default "full width" mode. I would very much be happy to deactive this plugin if there was an alternative way to link posts or categories to the front page.  When I deactive this plugin the posts on the front page (called home) don't appear.

I appreciate your help. 

#6 dario

dario

• Members

• 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Framework Version:DMS 2

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just curious for an upcoming project . . .
Is there not a way to achieve the same functionality (display content from multiple categories along with the main post loop on the same page) directly through Framework w/out using post page associator?

If so, that might be a better way to go jessicab.

I'm thinking along these lines:

But, perhaps Framework allows this w/out coding? Somehow put a category post loop in a box sort of thing . . . or?

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Dario,

I recommend using Special Recent Posts, but you can also try AnyLoop in our Store. I've not used the latter, but Special Recent Posts does let you specify a category for displaying one or more posts from a category.  Since it uses shortcode, you can place it anywhere, and you can also have two different formats for your category, like a single (latest) post with thumbnail, and several under it, with title only.

Unfortunately, since the blog page requires that no content be added to the edit field, it's not possible to add things below the loop, unless you use one of the available sidebars (like Universal).

Thus it is best to use Special Recent Posts, because you can pull the last X (number) of posts from the site, then break it down by category below as you can re-use shortcode several times.

• dario likes this

#8 dario

dario

• Members

• 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Rob.

I've searched for this idea and never came across Special Recent Posts. It seems to be an additional function of the plug rather than its raison d'ĂȘtre.

I'll also query Nick about Any Loop.

I hope all this fits within jessicab's original question. It's how I read what she wants anyway.

• James B likes this

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Jessica let us know if any of the above works for you

#10 dario

dario

• Members

• 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I went with AnyLoop. Special Recent Posts has a Pro version and to do what I need it seems that the lite version would not cut it. So I decided that if I was going to pay for something I'd rather support a PL Developer.

There's also the Anything Boxes section but there's no indication it's DMS ready yet and no response to an e-mail about it. Of course I received no response to my AnyLoop e-mail either but I do imagine these guys are quite busy, what with the pending DMS release.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Dario,

While the fact that DMS has been scheduled for release doesn't give developers the permission to answer questions about it until the product is officially released.  You won't get replies, as doing so would violate agreements made.  

When DMS is released, you'll have all the answers you need. Till then, like tens of thousands of others, we'll all have to wait and be patient.

#12 dario

dario

• Members

• 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Understood.
That said, Nick's sections say 'DMS Ready'. That's what I was looking for from Adam. My main concern was whether the section was orphaned or being updated.

Regardless, I'm all sorted out now.

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Excellent.