Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Add WP's Blogroll (URL List) to the Content Area on a Static Page

Question

Posted · Report post

I need to give a Client the ability to add URLs using WP's Interface. She is not a Tech person but could handle this and would leave other settings alone. The Links Page on her site will be a static page with only a Content Area, no sidebars. I have searched and browsed but can't locate either code or plugin or whatever that will allow me to do this. Please point me in the right direction. I would also be interested in any PC/MAC/Web/Phone apps that would give a client the ability to write posts (with or without images), and add links so they could avoid the WP Interface altogether. Thank You!

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HA! The Content Sidebar or the Universal Sidebar (both extensions by Pagelines) accomplish the same thing I've just discovered.

Posted · Report post

I found out how to do it in a Full Width Sidebar. I would be interested to know if there is a way to accomplish this with a code insertion. Thanks

Posted · Report post

Hi Jim,

I am somewhat confused by the question.  Are you trying to add a blog (latest posts) to a static homepage? If so, then use Special Recent Posts, a free plugin that you can find at WordPress.org.  It will let you do just that.

Or, are you trying to add a list of links? Your topic title and the topic itself are saying both, so I'm not sure which.

As for remote posting from a mobile device, there are several plugins.  This is one:  http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mobile-admin/

Posted · Report post

A list of Links on a static page named links. The Blogroll came from the title WP defaults to in the links widget which I've found out is really a category.

I've figured out how to get it done with a Full Width Sidebar on that page and how to change the title by manipulating link categories.

Next I need to change the styles. Is styles.css the place to do this or is there a Pagelines approach I could use?

I'm mocking this whole thing up at http://jimmorannyc.com/

The Mobile Device link takes care of that very nicely.

Thank You!

Posted · Report post

Jim,

If you're going to add CSS code to style any part of your site, I recommend adding the CSS to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code.

Posted · Report post

Thank You!

Posted · Report post

It seems to me there has to be some code that would enable you to include that links module within a static page but I just can't find it anywhere. Now I'm going through wp php files trying to figure out how the widget does it.

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

You won't be able to add php code for the blog roll into the content area of the page without a plugin, something like - http://wordpress.org/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/

However you can add the links as html, but then you'd need to manually update them each time etc.

Posted · Report post

I need to provide a client with the ability to add links herself. She is could be easily taught to fill out a form (WP Links) but hard coding is beyond her skill sets. I just found http://wordpress.org/plugins/widgets-on-pages/. I see if that works as advertised. It would open a lot of possibilities. Thanks

UPDATE: It works as advertised. If it conflicts with anything I'll note it here.

Thank you for your help!

Posted · Report post

Hi Jim, glad you found a solution, thank you for letting us know :-)

Posted · Report post

Glad you found a solution.