3 replies to this topic

#1 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi, 

Pagelines has included the Twitter bootstrap library, for example the tabbed content and the accordion.

Is this what people call 'javascript'?

I learned that Google has difficulties with reading javascript (and flash).

My idea was to use the accordion for the FAQ page, however, I'm not sure anymore if this is a good idea if this results in SEO issues.

Can anyone help me in the right direction with this?

Kind regards,

Willem

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hello Willem-Siebe 

Javascript is a computing language that allows scripts to control the browse. It is a highly flexible HTML, CSS, and JavaScript framework

The bootstrap content is powered by Javascript but the content contained within the bootstrap functionality is still 'site content' if you like, and i don't think google has problems reading this. 

where did you learn this was a bad idea? 

#3 Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAlmere

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer. Here the quote about being it a 'bad idea':

If you can’t fit everything on one page, you need to start considering alternatives. You could use a little AJAX magic to display just the questions, and hide the answers until a visitor clicks on a particular question. Traveling that route means dealing with potential SEO issues; Google sometimes has problems with AJAX-based questions. 

Link: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Willem

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Willem,

Google should be able to read the content of your tabs.  Twitter Bootstrap should not interfere in Google's ability to read the content, though it's true that AJAX and some javascripts hide content from Google.  That's because the tab content in Javascript or AJAX tabs are inside the Javascript or AJAX, versus being on the page, as they are in PageLines.

If there is going to be content that should be hidden from view, you can wrap it in a unique class, then tell that class to display none, but Google might still see that, as it's technically, still in a page.   I know that's not what you were asking, but just to show the fact that Google reads what's on the page, even if your visitors can't see it.  That's simply not truw with scripts like Javascript or AJAX, in many cases.