5 replies to this topic

#1 warrenbuys

warrenbuys

• Members

• 22 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with trying to use the Plugin- Custom Contact Forms on my site. I have recently installed PageLines onto my site and loving it, however now with the new setup, I think that PageLines is over-writing the style of the Plugin itself. Basiclly it is displaying a stock standard contact form on my sidebar without any of the customisation that I have done within the Plugin itself.

It is a very similar situation to the one on this topic:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

However the link provided does not work and unfortunately I have very little experience with CSS or code of any sort (hence my conversion to PageLines). I have the Plugin inserted through Widgets into my Primary Sidebar.

Here is a link to my site, I am obviously still converting it over to work through PageLines however I need this resolved to build everything else unfortunately.

Details: PageLines 2.4.4

Wordpress: 3.5.2

Host: GoDaddy

Any assistance would be much appreciated thanks, please if you require any further details, just ask :-)

Cheers

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2469 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hello Warrenbuys 

Have you used CSS to customise the contact form already? How did you implement this? i am assuming you customised this before pagelines was installed. Let us know and we can advise further. 

If you require help on Custom CSS and customisation you can find it

in the documentation (the previous link is now dead as the documentation has been re-written since) 

• Further information on Customisation methods 

• Further information on CSS 

#3 warrenbuys

warrenbuys

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Hi Martin,

You simply modify the form within the plugin itself, quite simple layout, I will include a screenshot so you can see how the user customisers the form style.

Attached Files

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

If the plugin uses the same elements as PageLines, such as classes or IDs, then yes, our CSS may interrupt or override the CSS the settings create.  I'm afraid there's really no solution if the plugin does use the same classes or IDs, except to replace the plugin. 

When you're filling in the settings provided by the plugin, those are written as CSS code.  If it writes to something like .input and we also use .input for forms, then our code will prevail in the order in which the browser reads the code, depending upon the browser, though most should do that.

A successful, well-crafted plugin will use its own CSS elements, avoiding such conflicts with more common phrases or words used in standard CSS.

While our form may need customized CSS to make it appear as you desire, essentially, you already know what you want ti to look like, and just have to find the proper element in PageLines to make that work. Writing the CSS should be pretty easy, and likely it's already there, ready for editing.

• warrenbuys likes this

#5 warrenbuys

warrenbuys

• Members

• 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for your response Rob.

Can you please clarify which form you are referring to when you say 'our form'.

Also if I could find the element in the plugin which writes to something like .input, what could I replace this with the substitute this and remove the conflict please?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm sorry.  I forgot to mention Poppy, an available product in our Store.  This is a very simple modal-based contact form.  See:

for further information.

• warrenbuys likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contact Form, Custom, CSS, Framework