Photo
- - - - -

custom sidebar on each page?

columns sidebar

Best Answer Rob , 04 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

You may want to create a custom template in which many of the design issues are already pre-determined for the lawyers. A custom application might be worthwhile if it is going to be reused numerous times.  A form could be used to fill in details for the sidebar widget. Unfortunately, it needs someone with development skills.

Alternatively, you could use the widget, and write a brief one-page manual for its use for the lawyers.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rhagedus

rhagedus

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hello everyone, I am designing a site for a law firm and on each attorney's page, I would like to have a sidebar or column w/ a quick rundown of the attorney, and then next to that a much wider column w/ their full bio. It seems like the only way I can do this is to use a template for each attorney page, that includes a sidebar on the left, then include a text widget in each sidebar. Right now I am using Alan Trewartha's Widget Logic plugin to create a widget for each attorney page (7 total).

While this works, it doesn't seem like a very clean way to accomplish this, plus I think it's going to be troublesome later when the attorneys want to update their sidebar info. Can anyone suggest a more straightforward way to achieve this layout? You can view the site under construction on a test server here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Thanks in advance for your help, fairly new to WP and PL, first time I am posting here.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi there, the only way to achieve this that I'm aware of is to use the widget logic plugin or use css to hide/display the widgets on each page depending on the page ID. This could get complicated though depending on the amount of pages you have and what you choose to display where etc. 

Otherwise you could look at creating custom sidebars on your site, see -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 rhagedus

rhagedus

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

thanks James, I really appreciate the input. There are only 7 pages, so that's not too much of a concern but I am a little concerned that the attorneys may find the editing less than intuitive. Designparc looks like a great resource all around--

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:04 PM   Best Answer

You may want to create a custom template in which many of the design issues are already pre-determined for the lawyers. A custom application might be worthwhile if it is going to be reused numerous times.  A form could be used to fill in details for the sidebar widget. Unfortunately, it needs someone with development skills.

Alternatively, you could use the widget, and write a brief one-page manual for its use for the lawyers.

#5 rhagedus

rhagedus

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

thanks Rob, a mini-manual is a great idea. fortunately I have a young colleague at work who may be able to help templatize the page for me, and help w/ some formatting details. thanks so much for your input.

#6 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ill pass you thanks on to Rob - let us know if we can help further