Where do you program excerpts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angiek

angiek

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've searched everywhere in my dashboard for anything about excerpts. But can't resolve these problems. I have my blog set up to be in magazine layout. I have it set so there is only 1 full-width post and the rest should be clips.

These are my problems:

1- I'm getting both the excerpt AND the full post on every entry, including the clips. How do I resolve that?

2- In the Dashboard > Site Options > Blog and Posts > Continue Reading Text Link area, the "more info" box says: This text will be used as the link to your full article when viewing articles on your posts page (when excerpts are turned on). How do I turn on excerpts?

3- I want the author/date/time line AND the sharing information to go at the bottom of the post, rather than after the post's title. Is that possible?

I've assigned an excerpt length in Dashboard > Site Options > Blog and Posts > Number of words to 55.

I'm imagining I have clicked one too many boxes or something simple like that. Please help, as I am now delirious from trying to figure it out and trying seemingly everything for over two hours now.

Thank you.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2469 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hello angieK 

Please take a look at this forum topic regarding duplicate excerpts 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 angiek

angiek

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hello, Avocate. Thank you for that first tip. That DID solve my first issue. Now, do you know how to resolve issues 2 & 3?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi Newbie,

To answer your questions:

2- In the Dashboard > Site Options > Blog and Posts > Continue Reading Text Link area, the "more info" box says: This text will be used as the link to your full article when viewing articles on your posts page (when excerpts are turned on). How do I turn on excerpts?

This is mixing apples and oranges.  The Continue Reading Text Link has nothing to do with excerpts. Please go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Blog And Posts and scroll down to Post Excerpt or Summary Handling.

Use the options there to determine the placement of Excerpts.

3- I want the author/date/time line AND the sharing information to go at the bottom of the post, rather than after the post's title. Is that possible?

You may be able to adjust this by CSS, though I don't think it well advised.