Photo
- - - - -

How to create a child theme from scratch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clinton4

clinton4

• Members

• 129 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

I have searched in the docs and forum section, but could not find any info or guides.

So how do i create i child theme for PageLines from scratch? Can i follow the Wordpress Codex (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) or is there some extra stuff regards to PageLines?

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2516 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Please find some information regarding the Child theme and other customisation methods here 

#3 clinton4

clinton4

• Members

• 129 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi Martin,

I have read that page, but i could only find information about the "Base PageLines Theme" there. I want to know how i can create my own child theme from scratch, without having to use the "Base PageLines Theme".

Can i follow the Wordpress Codex to create my own child theme for PageLines? Or is there any extra stuff i need to keep in mind regards to PageLines?

Is it enough to create a child theme folder and style.css file?

Also, what do the setup.php file do in the "Base PageLines Theme"? Do i need it for my own child theme?

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hi there,

The base theme is empty, so technically you can just put all your own css, filters/functions in and then change the name and add your own screenshot etc. 

If you wanted to create your own you can, there's a list of the core files and what needs to be included here, there is certain information that is required so you can copy/paste that from the base theme into yours -