Photo
- - - - -

Layout issues in Internet Explorer...not Chrome, Safari or Firefox...

framework browser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bizint

bizint

Advocate

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

I'm having strange layout issues in different browsers for this page:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sometimes the images are full size (of the chairs) - sometimes they overlap. Internet Explorer seems to be the problem, but not other browsers....any ideas please?! Is this a wordpress thing or a framework thing? It's very strange.

Thanks,

bizint

#2 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2516 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hello bizint 

Different browsers handle CSS differently so it is a matter of testing and then rectifying the problem browsers with some Custom CSS. 

I recommend using Firebug or your browsers built-in web dev tools and inspect the problematic sections to find the correct code.

For assistance visit our custom CSS documentation - 

To make life a little easier there is a plugin to help with this 

• Adrianna Lima likes this

#3 fpcas9431

fpcas9431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hmmm having a similar problem...IE doesn't recognize sizing of images from Pagelines?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

Actually,  IE doesn't recognize image scaling from WordPress.  Nothing to do with PageLines.

If you have added, for example, a 500px wide image as the post's feature image (tor the thumbnail), IE probably won't recognize that WordPress has cropped or scaled the image to 150px by 150px.  It may decide to display the full-sized image.  Similarly, if you're using a very large image in the post's content, and scaling it down (which WordPress does pretty well), IE won't recognize the set size, only the original size, causing the image (in either case) to bleed past any container it sits in, making it (usually) sit behind or under other content.

It's one of the most annoying things I've found about IE.  The only cure for it, unfortunately, is to resize images to the specific sizes you want them to be using a graphics editor like Adobe Photoshop, and replacing them.  This is tedious, troublesome, time-consuming and to say the least, laborious.  But, it is the only sure-fire way of making it work.

• NearlyJen likes this

#5 airmike

airmike

• Members

• 5 posts
  • LocationCoeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Admittedly, I'm close to a novice at this but I can understand when I'm being given an "incorrect" message. My PageLines back office in WP is not displaying correctly since I started getting this erroneous message:

You are using Internet Explorer version: 7
Advanced options don't support Internet Explorer version 7 or lower. Please switch to a standards based browser that will allow you to easily configure your site (e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, even IE8 or better would work).

I actually have a brand new desktop with IE 10, the latest version, so I guess, somehow the PageLines program, which was working fine (until this message popped up) as I am building a new website, thinks I have an outdated version of IE. How do I fix this problem?

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi Airmike,

This is not a related topic. Kindly open a new one, providing a link to your site.

Thanks.

#7 NearlyJen

NearlyJen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 59 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Rob, 

Could you possibly add a class to certain images and then resize in css? Could that get you around it if you had a LOT of pictures not being scaled?

Jennifer

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13214 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

@Biznit

Your issue is most likely related to your HTML code, you have a number of h3 tags and <a> tags that appear to be doing nothing and as far as I can tell, can be removed. Removing them may address your issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: framework, browser