Photo
Hero Nav

Why Do Hero Nav Menu Items Duplicate in Dropdown

menu items hero nav

Best Answer Evan Mattson , 25 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Greetings @carlton,

This is a cool thing that Hero Nav does, but I can understand your confusion.  

What's happening is that you have your dropdown menus are set to dropdown on CLICK, so in that case, top level pages/menu items with dropdowns are not available as working links because they trigger their dropdown menu.  Hero Nav detects this, and automatically adds that page as the first item in the dropdown so that you can still access that page.  This only happens if the top level menu item has a link.  This also only happens when the dropdown trigger is set to click.

If you want to create top level menu items that don't do this, simply create a custom menu item for it and give it a url of "#" (without quotes).

Hope this helps.

There is documentation on the demo site: http://hero-nav.evanmattson.com.  I can't recall if this specific feature is mentioned there but you're the first to mention it!

I'll double check and add information about it there if it is missing.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carlton

carlton

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Here's a link to my site:

http://flagstonesearchmarketing.com/

See SEO, Inbound Marketing, and SEM for examples.

The channel names appear twice. At first, I thought this was because some were saved as custom menu items, but re-saved SEM a different way to experiment, but still get the same result.

What am I missing?

Any help appreciated.

(Also, is there any documentation?)

#2 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 196 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 PM   Best Answer

Greetings @carlton,

This is a cool thing that Hero Nav does, but I can understand your confusion.  

What's happening is that you have your dropdown menus are set to dropdown on CLICK, so in that case, top level pages/menu items with dropdowns are not available as working links because they trigger their dropdown menu.  Hero Nav detects this, and automatically adds that page as the first item in the dropdown so that you can still access that page.  This only happens if the top level menu item has a link.  This also only happens when the dropdown trigger is set to click.

If you want to create top level menu items that don't do this, simply create a custom menu item for it and give it a url of "#" (without quotes).

Hope this helps.

There is documentation on the demo site: http://hero-nav.evanmattson.com.  I can't recall if this specific feature is mentioned there but you're the first to mention it!

I'll double check and add information about it there if it is missing.

• carlton likes this

#3 carlton

carlton

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks so much!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hero Nav, menu items, hero nav