Photo
- - - - -

dont want to use excerpt-field no more

Best Answer fkpress , 27 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

i found a workaround: with plugin Automated Editing

it makes an automatic excerpt, if there is no manually entry. for me it is not the best, but a solution. :-)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fkpress

fkpress

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts
  • LocationErfurt, Germany

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

hi there,

i am a bit confused.... :-)

in my page lines-page www.puffbohne.de i use the excerpt-field to put text in it for showing in blog-overview-pages. 

i put ABC in the Excerpt-field, then on frontpage the ABC is shown and in single-post view it is ABC-defgh... 

now i want to change this to automatic: show ab or abc on frontpage by count of words, maybe 40. then on single-post-view i want it ab-cdefgh. 

but when i change the configuration, i can manage it so far only this way: 

abc on frontpage, defgh on single-view. this is not the way i want it. 

so the question is: is there a way, to put excerpts and the rest of the article together again? maybe by a plugin? so after it the blogentry is abcdefgh - and i can filter the excerpt of it by wordpress automatic?

without putting excerpts and rest together, the change i want to make effects all blog-entrys: so the newer ones are shown correctly, the older ones are showing only defgh on single-entry-view...

sorry for my bad english :-)

frank

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hey Frank

I'm not sure I'm following 100% but I'll try.

The excerpt length is controlled in Pagelines>site options>blogs and posts by word count. This is the same if the excerpt is set on other the blog page as well as the single blog page through the pagelines settings.

However, if you set a custom excerpt inside the post, using the custom excerpt field. That will display on the post page to give the custom excerpt, and on the single post page before the main post content -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 fkpress

fkpress

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

hi james,

yes, i know, that i can configure it that way. BUT...

if i used custom excerpt with the custom excerpt field so far for about 800 blog-articles and now i want to change it to automatic counting words for excerpt, the thing is

a) for new blog-articles everything is fine, as i wish to be

B) for older blog-articles the excerpt is showing on frontpage and the article without excerpt is showing on single-blog-page. 

or c) the excerpt is showing twice on single-blog-page.... 

so i want to put custom excerpt together with the rest of the article for using the automatic excerpt related to the hole blog-post.... 

clearer now? :-)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Unfortunately, there's no way to globally remove the manual, custom excerpts already added. You'd have to manually remove those, one at a time.  While the display of automatic excerpts is Pagelines, which you say is working fine for new posts, the custom excerpt field is a WordPress issue, so there may be some plugin I don't know about.

#5 fkpress

fkpress

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

hi rob, you got it! thats the problem!

i dont know a plugin for this - i am searching for something like that. or is there a chance to change it in mysql-database? with more than 800 blogentries i dont want to do this manually...

maybe there is another solution for the problem? or a job for a wordpress-expert to do the script? :-)

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'm going to sound silly here, but this comes as no surprise to those who know me.

Since the excerpt only appears in posts that are in the current range (if 10 posts on the blog page, then only the last 10 count), why even worry about archived posts? They won't appear on the front page anymore, unless you recycle them, at which point you'd be able to edit them manually.

If you're worried about what appears on the archive pages, I imagine you could probably manipulate that somehow, if need be, though archive pages should be in magazine mode, so it won't really matter, will it?

The only solutions I can think of otherwise, seriously, would be:

1. Hire a data entry clerk to enter each post and delete the excerpts

2. Edit the database which is very risky, and take the chance you corrupt the database. Or,

3. Using PHPmyAdmin, go through each post, manually, and remove the excerpts from that field in wp-posts table.

All three are time consuming, risky, and problematic in their own way.

#7 fkpress

fkpress

Advanced Member

• Members

• 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:10 PM   Best Answer

i found a workaround: with plugin Automated Editing

it makes an automatic excerpt, if there is no manually entry. for me it is not the best, but a solution. :-)

#8 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for letting us know