Photo
- - - - -

top level on NavBar clickable?

Best Answer James B , 19 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hi Sheila

You're welcome. The plugin does work and is great a great solution for the classic nav on mobile devices. Looking at those comments a few of them relate to a bug when it was first released and the rest seem to be customizing to make it work on the main desktop site as well as the mobile. It is a stable plugin but if you encounter any problems there's the store product forum where the developer can assist you directly, all extensions are also covered by the 30 day guarantee.

If it helps, there's also a free plugin to color the classic nav called simple css lite (this will color the desktop version of the classic nav, not the mobile). http://www.pagelines...simple-css-lite

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 442 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm new here. Spent some time deciding on the mobile-friendly NavBar vs the easiler to configure Classic. I'm only just started adding secondary pages and now it would appear that with a drop down menu that the top level is no longer functional as a page link! Is that by design? Or am I missing a setting somewhere? If that's the way it's supposed to work is there any work-around? Client wants a top-level page that one can visit and then secondary under it. Seems pretty mundane so I'm guessing I'm just missing a setting somewhere. I HOPE!

Site is here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The top link now appends #m1 onto it.

If this is simply take it this way or leave it... are there other nav otptions that are mobile friendly AND will allow this functionality?

Thanks,

Sheila

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi Sheila

Yes unfortunately that is how the section is designed. It was created by the team at twitter bootstrap and is part of the bootstrap integration. The reason they don't allow a parent item to be a link as well as an anchor is because of the rise in touch screen devices.

If someone was on a touch screen device they wouldn't be able to click on the drop down without accidentally going to the link etc.

However, the classic nav does allow for the parent item to be a drop down and a link. The mobile menu in the classic nav isn't as good as the navbar, but there is a plugin to mimic the effect

#3 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 442 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Thanks again James. So if I go back to the classic nav and buy this $5 plugin it will give me the same effect when on mobile, a square icon that drops down the nav? When I looked at that plugin initially I was concerned as there are several negative comments there. Is it a stable viable option? If so I'll simply do that rather than fuss around with how to use CSS to colorize the NavBar what won't let me have a top level. I DO undestand Twitter's reasoning AND I really appreciate you telling the WHY. THANK YOU!

Just watched the video and it looks perfect.

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:47 AM   Best Answer

Hi Sheila

You're welcome. The plugin does work and is great a great solution for the classic nav on mobile devices. Looking at those comments a few of them relate to a bug when it was first released and the rest seem to be customizing to make it work on the main desktop site as well as the mobile. It is a stable plugin but if you encounter any problems there's the store product forum where the developer can assist you directly, all extensions are also covered by the 30 day guarantee.

If it helps, there's also a free plugin to color the classic nav called simple css lite (this will color the desktop version of the classic nav, not the mobile).

#5 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 442 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Thanks James. Yes I'd already discovered the lovely Simple CSS Lite. Wish we had a few more tools that made things easier like it does. Great to know all plug-ins offer a 30 day return. I'd actaully asked that very question of the maker of the Events plugin but never heard back. Thanks. You can close this one out. I'm happy.

• greenfly likes this

#6 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Sheila, - consider this closed.