Photo
- - - - -

Features Slider Not Advancing In Mobile (IOS)

Features slider mobile

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi all, using Pagelines Framework 2.4.3. At some point, I noticed that the features slider seen on the home page at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

is no longer auto transitioning on IOS. I'm not sure about Android.

The slider is working in browsers, just not mobile. It worked on Mobile several days back.

I recently added: catloop, sections plugin, child theme because the catloop author said I should.

I tried removing the plugins and going back to the pagelines framework with no child. No luck there.

any ideas? Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi 

Actually it does work on Android devices.  If it's not working on iOS, likely there's some conflict between something on your site and that browser.  Given that we're not seeing huge numbers of people mentioning this, I am led to the conclusion that there may be a custom code or plugin conflict causing the issue with iOS.

First, let's try deactivating the plugins.  I know it sounds like standard language, but seriously, it can work.  Only deactivate the non-PageLines plugins.  If the slider works in iOS, then it is one of them.  Reactivate, one at a time, checking after. If the problem resumes, then you know that last reactivated plugin is the issue.

One possible, temporary solution is to implement one of the slider navigation options, customizing it so that it is non-obtrusive. At least your visitors in iOS will be able to navigate the slides.  I will investigate alternatives as soon as we know what the plugin deactivation yields.

#3 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

So, I've found it already. Missed this plugin and it's the culprit. In fact, the player doesn't work on IOS either. 

MediaElement.js - HTML5 Audio and Video

| 

Video and audio plugin for WordPress built on MediaElement.js HTML5 video and audio player library. Embeds media in your post or page using HTML5 with Flash or Silverlight fallback support for non-HTML5 browsers. Video support: MP4, Ogg, WebM, WMV. Audio support: MP3, WMA, WAV

Version 2.10.3 | By 

| 

Can you recommend an HTML5 player with fallback for non HTML5 browsers? It's tempting to just use straight HTML5 and abandon the browsers that can't deal but I'm afraid the client would be getting back with complaints to me if I did that.

One of the reasons I use self-hosted video is because Google often picks it up and displays the poster as a thumbnail in organic search results. That's great for real estate clients who need the edge in search results.

Thanks!

#4 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention the URL where the video plugin is used: 

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Are these videos on Youtube or Vimeo?

#6 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

No, they're directly uploaded to the server. Again, the reasoning for this is that Google recognizes there is a self-hosted video. That's a signal that it's not on a video website. Google often responds by displaying a small video player thumbnail in search results as shown in the screenshot. Typically, Google will not do this if the video is embedded from a video site.

Screenshot_6_16_13_10_20_AM-2.jpg?resize

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm not aware of any specific self-hosted audio/visual plugins that are tested to work within PageLines specifically. 

In past, I've heard of people using VideoPress, but often complaining that it needed extensive customization.

This, again untested,

is a well maintained plugin, that might work.

WordPress itself is pretty good at handling self-hosted video and audio via the Media Library.  Have you tried that?

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

By the way, look at your plugin's site:

It says they've integrated their code into WordPress core, so their plugin is deprecated.

#9 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I saw that but there was no mention of how it works, I tried shortcode and no love. Is it supposed to work by just inserting a link to the file?

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

No. It is now built into the WordPress core files, so it is part of the Media Library now. You don't have to add anything, do anything with code or try to code anything.  Just go to your post or page, click Media Library, and add a video, image or audio file. When you get to the upload, decide whether you want to insert the media into the page or post. The code will be auto generated.  Use the settings to control size, position, alignment, etc.

#11 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

All this install of Wordpress does when you upload an MP4 video file is create a link to the media file. No player code or anything like that.  I tried JWplayer and it was OK but it rendered all JavaScript and no HTML5 code was generated. Google search responds to HTML5 so I need to be sure that's present.

I might be best off writing my own HTML5 <video> player and ignoring IE8 users, etc. who can't see it.

I was really hoping that Pagelines had their own HTML5 video plugin for sale. Too bad...

Thanks,

Dave

#12 davekeys

davekeys

Advanced Member

• Members

• 47 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

PS. This forum runs really well. Is it running on a Pagelines product that I can buy?

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Dave, when you add the media file, are you doing it from the page where it is intended to be placed, OR, are you going to Dashboard > Media Library > Add New?

The Link it provides, in either case, can be added to a page by a simple HTML link.

I'm in the process of testing options and will report back as soon as it completes.

This is Invision Power Board, not a WordPress product, and rather pricey. There is a link to it at the bottom right.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Features, slider, mobile