#1 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi Rob!

Ok - switched off PlatformPro to Pagelines Feature, and have mucked around with the new page options, but can't seem to get a few things back to the way they were.

1.) I had two Meteor slideshows on pages - other than the Home Page - one that I have working properly - a top banner slide show, but the other was a right side skyscraper which now appears down below the content. 

Here's a page where you can see the top banner working correctly, and the side skyscraper below the content. It used to be placed on the right side of the content, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what i can do to get it to move.

http://roskingemnews...ucson-day-four/

here's the code which worked before switching from PlatformPro to Pagelines Feature

[meteor_slideshow slideshow="top-banner-ads-colored-gems" metadata="height: 90, width: 625"]

<div style="border: 0px inset; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: url('http://roskingemnews...ucson-Day-Four2'); border-color: #C0C0C0; black; padding: 0px; width: 625px; height: 3350px; float: left;"></div>

[meteor_slideshow slideshow="skyscraper-banner-ads-colored-gems" metadata="height: 650, width: 175"]

[meteor_slideshow slideshow="top-banner-ads-colored-gems" metadata="height: 90, width: 625"]

or another example .... all of those skyscraper slide shows were on the right of the content.

http://roskingemnews...las-vegas-2010/

Is there something in the actual template that I have to change, or is there a code that needs to be changed?

..... and then when we figure that out, is there a way that I can get my pages to look the same on both FireFoox and Internet Explorer? Firefox looks great, but i.e. has a tough time listening to me. :-)

THANKS!

GARY

• assomibatrifs likes this

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hi Gary,

I'm unclear what the layout width of your site is, but keep in mind that each component has its own padding and margins.  Are you placing the narrow image in a sidebar via a text widget?

One note though, images are great, but not as a substitute for content.  While a picture speaks a thousand words, search engines are deaf to their vocalizations.  So the message you really want to get out there, should be in text, not just images. Personally, I'd recommend restructuring how you're doing this site.

If you still want to go the route you're headed in, add the larger image into a content area of at least 700px width, and make sure your sidebar is at least 290px wide in a one-sidebar layout.  Add the shortcode for the side image into a text widget in the sidebar.

As it is presently, I suspect the layout isn't wide enough to accommodate all the padding and margins plus the image widths.  Thus one is pushing the other down.

#3 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hi Rob,

Yes, the sample page I sent you is an old format, so you could see the skyscraper ads... I finally figured out how to use images as backgrounds and now use text in the content area so Google can see me. Here's a new page - without the skyscraper ads of course ...

http://roskingemnews.../baker-resigns/

So the way the ads are configured, all of the code is in the content area. This way, depending on what the content is, e.g. Diamonds, Colored Stones, Pearls, etc., I can change out the Ad slide shows to fit the content... I have pearl advertisers, and diamond advertisers, etc...     I thought about putting the slides into a sidebar, but then I can't figure out how to separate the different ads to the different content ...  So I went the easy route and just slapped the diamond ad codes in the diamond content area, etc...  and it has worked up until a few days ago.  I tried changing the width of the content (making it smaller) to allow the slide show to move up along side, but that didn't work.

Now you mention padding... do I have a padding code in there somewhere??? or in the template?

#4 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Oh - the meteor slideshow is in a measurement of 900 x 900    This is how they can have several slide shows in the same area.  Do THOSE numbers need to change?? 

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Oh my goodness!

900px won't let anything exist in a sidebar given that width.

The best thing is to have content in the content area, and sidebar next to it, with your own content selections in there as a sidebar.  We can control what appears based on categories or pages.

#6 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well, don't think I'm THAT crazy   :-) .... what I did was just eliminate the side bar (okay - maybe not the BEST layout, but hey, it was quick.  And frankly, not being a web builder, I'm all about quick.)   So I have the entire page width as Content .... 980px yes? Does that work, or should I actually spend time to figure out how to put content into the side bars and place the ads there too?  You're going to make me work aren't you... :-)

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Gary, it's all about the effort we make!  You should know better.  I make everyone work, but they end up with great websites. :)

WordPress has some issues with side-by-side images, and shortcodes are going to go on secondary lines, irrespective of the width. Thus to answer your question, content area should include a sidebar in this case.

Now that's out of the way, I still think it best to use the sidebar, and manage the sidebar with Widget Logic.

So, let me explain briefly.   With a sidebar, you have widgets.  The content of the widgets can be controlled by a plugin called Widget Logic.  If you want an ad for pearls on a post about pearls, then you add the post to the pearls category, and tell the widget only to appear on posts within that category.   Once you set it up, essentially you can leave it go and it does the work for you.

Each gem classification gets a category; each category has specific widgets associated and those contain relative ad code.

BTW, Widget Logic will control where and when widgets appear. That's its simple job... one that works very well.

#8 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Excellent! You ARE going to make me a better web designer aren't you? :-) OKAY ... still working on my newsletter... so it will be later tonight, but I'll get that done!

THANKS ROB!!

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

As they say on W47th... Mazel u'bracha!