Photo
- - - - -

Subnav not working

menus subnavigation navigation simplicitate 2.4.3 subnavigation not working

Best Answer James B , 13 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi Mary

In your new menu you hadn't set up any items to be a child page in the custom menu - http://screencast.com/t/IWEaWgHO

They need to be indented to the right to show as a sub nav, see this image compared to the screenshot above - http://screencast.com/t/VJBrgTnu

Indent the menus you want to display as a child page by dragging to the right until they click into place.

I've left authors link in place to show you, you can move that back to the left to make it a parent item in the menu

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Framework Version:the current one, always

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Using 2.4.3 Framework with the Simplicitate Theme. I removed this theme because there were other bugs in it, and I thought this might be one of them, but when I returned to the framework as theme the subnav still didn't show up. 

I have double checked the parent and child pages were properly assigned, and have used several browsers to see if perhaps it was a Google Chrome issue. So far, the subnav doesn't show up in Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, or Opera. 

Currently, the site can be viewed at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. It is live, but not advertised as yet. When it goes live it will be at

I am the complete opposite of web-guru. I have no idea if any plug-in could affect this site and wouldn't know where to begin in terms of removing them to help. All I know is navigation is going to be seriously hampered until this is sorted. Any assistance would be very greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.

#2 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 1772 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi ashbybp

If you need to verify your plugins go to

Plugins > Installed plugins

and click "deactivate"

Captura%2520de%2520pantalla%25202013-06-

First you can try to deactivate all non pagelines plugin and you see if your problem persist. 

To find out which plugin is causing the issue, you will need to activate your plugins one by one. Enable one and then return to the web and see if it  is still normal, repeat this process until subnav work. When this happens the plugin that you activated last is the culprit.

Make sure your plugins are all up to date and fully compatible with WordPress 3.5.1. If they're out of date (usually more than 3 months old) there's a chance they can conflict with others or with WordPress itself. I strongly suggest checking all your plugins every month.

I hope this is you need.

#3 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for your quick response and for the info! 

I deactivated every plugin but the subnav still isn't working. I updated without the active plugins and closed everything and reopened (just in case). 

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. I'm desperately hoping to get this site live today sometime.

Thanks again.

Mary 

#4 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2517 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Have you activated drop downs in Pagelines > Site Options > header and footer? 

#5 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Yes. I also went through some videos before posting on here to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything. 

• The dropdowns are checked off
  • Parent/child pages are assigned
  • Menus are sorted (not relevant, but checked it anyway)
  • disabled all plugins
  • removed theme and left framework only
  • checked the above on every browser (in case it was browser specific)

I'd be perfectly happy to upload any files that might indicate where I or the programming have gone wrong. I just really want to get this resolved. Just tell me what I should look for. As mentioned, I'm pretty desperate at this point.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. 

Sincerely,

Noob (aka Mary)

#6 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2517 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have tried numerous things to get this to work but cannot do anything further with 57 plugins active. All evidence points to a clash of functionality. 57 plugins might be enough to cause something like this. 

Try disabling all your non-pagelines plugins and see if this resolves the issue. 

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I've logged in and checked your site, it looks like some of your menus aren't working. When I go in to check your menu setup in appearance>menus i see -

This is the menu which is assigned to the fixed navbar which is currently showing on your site. So I would say delete the menu completely and then re-create it, in case any of the pages have been edited or changed during the site development.

Selecting the other menus seem to display ok, so it makes me think it's this menu in the fixed nav which is causing the problem.

#8 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Subnav is fixed. Pagelines Team rocks!!! Thanks everyone, and a special thanks to Martin and James.  :thumbsu:

You guys are DA BOMB!!!!!

#9 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Okay. I thought it was fixed... Dropdowns worked until I created new menus. When I recreated them the subnav stopped working again. Does this narrow anything down?  Please let me know.

Cheers. Mary

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

If you've made new menus made sure they're assigned to the correct menu in the top left of the appearance>menus page. You'll have a drop down to select each menu.

If you're using the navbar section you'll find a drop down to select your menu in the navbar settings in Pagelines>site options>navbar.

#11 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi James,

The dropdown has always been checked off in the header/footer section. I just ensured the fixed nav is assigned to the menu I created. 

To be clear, when I create menus in the menu section the subnav (parent/child pages) cease to connect and there are no dropdowns in the theme menus or the fixed nav. When I delete all menus the subnav works again; however, every top level page shows up in the navigation. 

At this point I have no plugins active, I have one menu active which I created after I deleted all of my menus a couple of hours ago (in the hope this would fix it), and I have ensured everything anyone has asked to be clicked/assigned have done so.

Is it possible for inactive plugins to affect the parent/child page relationships? Or, what else can I do? I really hate being a pain in the derriere but I'm stumped.

Thanks, Mary 

#12 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:33 PM   Best Answer

Hi Mary

In your new menu you hadn't set up any items to be a child page in the custom menu -

They need to be indented to the right to show as a sub nav, see this image compared to the screenshot above -

Indent the menus you want to display as a child page by dragging to the right until they click into place.

I've left authors link in place to show you, you can move that back to the left to make it a parent item in the menu

• ashbybp likes this

#13 ashbybp

ashbybp

Advanced Member

• Members

• 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

James. I would buy you a beer if I could. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.  :rock:

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4985 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

You're welcome :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: menus, subnavigation, navigation, simplicitate, 2.4.3, subnavigation not working