Photo
- - - - -

Unknown Twitter error

twitter error

Best Answer Simon_P , 12 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

The public twitter API was switched off this month, to get timeline stuff now you can either use their official javascript widget, or find a plugin that uses authentication.

Sorry about this, the next update will disable the now defunct twitterbar.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theoptimystic

theoptimystic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Since the Pagelines upgrade this morning My twitter bar is not working. It says Unknown Twitter error.

Here's my site you can see the twitter feed on the homepage:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Oh and just because I read some other stuff about this, I already have my own dedicated server.

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:24 PM   Best Answer

The public twitter API was switched off this month, to get timeline stuff now you can either use their official javascript widget, or find a plugin that uses authentication.

Sorry about this, the next update will disable the now defunct twitterbar.

#3 Mogwai

Mogwai

• Members

• 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

We have about 15 different client websites that use this plugin. Are you saying the twitterbar is now dead and there is no fix or update???

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive fan on Pagelines but this is a pretty major oversight by Pagelines if this is the case!....

• jennajonesdesign likes this

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13106 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

We are sorry to here the trouble this may cause but we have no control over Twitters actions. As Simon mentioned above, with the changes to the twitter API, the TwitterBar section has now become defunct and recommends using a plugin that requires auth.

#5 photomomwife

photomomwife

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I agree with 

. Understandable in an open source, but I did pay for this.

Can you at least point us where and how to use their open javasource? 

Frankly, I've never liked the Twitter bar anyway and even though I leave it blank, it still comes up on the website saying that it needs to be configured. How about having it NOT come up on the website if I don't want it?

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13106 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

If you do not want the TwitterBar to be visible, remove it from your template, goto Drag & drop and remove it from whichever template the section is active on. Usually this is MoreFoot.

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

@photomomwife  Twitterbar is one of the default sections in PageLines, and not a premium product, so it wasn't specifically paid for as you suggest. Unfortunately,  Twitter has decided to retire their first generation feeds. We are aware of it, and working on a solution moving forward.   This is not a matter of accessing their javasource.

Twitter now requires a special API and key to make feeds work. Even our premium plugins are affected, as are everyone else's in the WordPress community.  There is no guaranty that any plugin or section will continue functioning indefinitely, especially those using a third-party's code.  The only solutions are to find an alternative or wait until our developers integrate these changes, which could take a while as they're rather complex.  I assure you that every Twitter plugin developer out there is working tirelessly to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

You may find some additional information here: 

#8 bizint

bizint

Advocate

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hello. How do I disable the twitter feed in an old PlatformPro website though? If you leave blank (like I did)....it just says it needs to be configured...?! In platform pro there is no drag and drop for the twitter bar? Here is the website with the issue: www.lucyairambulance.org.uk Thanks

#9 Martin Davies

Martin Davies

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 2469 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hello bizint - please can you create your own topic and we will help you with this in the meantime. 

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

If using platform pro you can hide the twitterbar section using css

.section-twitterbar {

displaynone;
}

#11 bizint

bizint

Advocate

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hi James,

That didn't work... but 

#twitterbar {display: none;}

Did!

Thanks,

BIZINT

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

Bizint,

Go to Dashboard > PlatformPro > Template Setup and you should be able to find the TwitterBar in one of the templates.  You should be able to disable it there.

Unfortunately, PlatformPro has come to the end of its lifespan.  I'd urge you, strongly, to upgrade now to PageLines Framework.  It's quite likely that the next major WordPress release, coming very soon, will disable PlatformPro entirely.  To avoid losing your customizations, switch to Framework.  The transition will be much easier than duplicating your work from scratch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter error