3 replies to this topic

#1 igorvucinic

igorvucinic

• Members

• 10 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi everybody,

is there a way of putting the lastest blog posts into a kind of "silder", to show on the start-page of a site?

I would like to achieve that feature on my site "www.rinteln-aktuell.de", similar to the Quick Slider, not with images but with the latest posts.

Couldn´t find anything related to that question. Or maybe I just ask the wrong questions? Hopefully you can help me with that.

Cheers,

Igor

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi Igor,

Our Feature Slider allows you to display slides based on a category. Make sure the thumbnail for the post is the size of the slide (using static height, not aspect ratio) - be precise, and make each thumbnail (featured post image) the exact same size in each post.

Create a category called "latest" at Dashboard > Posts > Category.

Use the "latest" category when creating your slider. 

Each slide that appears will be from the "latest" category, therefore your latest posts, automagically.

#3 igorvucinic

igorvucinic

• Members

• 10 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi Rob,

thanks for that. So it seems that I have to change my workflow in the future when trying to take advantage of this feature slider as I haven´t always been that careful and precise. Seems to much work to do it for all previous posts.

Oh, second question regarding that: Can I select two categories at one when using this feature slider option? E.g. a car related post is normally in the category "cars". Can I check the box for "latest" as well?

Thanks,

Igor

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Igor,

If you're familiar with WordPress,  you can categorize posts globally using Global Edit.

However, if you are trying to show recent posts and your slider is set for let's say 5 posts, you only have to recategorize the last 5 posts. If that's too much work, then I apologize.  I had no idea how many posts the slider should display, but I don't think it's a good idea to display more than 10 as it will be a massive memory drain on your server and slow it down when loading. I limit my site to 8 for proper memory management.

To answer the second part of your question,  a post may be in multiple categories at one time.  So, if the slider is only picking up "latest" as its source, if the post is in Cars and Latest, it will display on the basis of Latest, not Cars.  If the post isn't in the "latest" category, and only Cars, it will not appear in the slider.