#1 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hi there,

Using Pagelines Pro, changing the number of Features to show in the Features Slider on the home page, in Feature Settings where it asks:

Number of Features
Limit the number of features that are shown

______

I've tried all sorts of numbers but it won't change from the 15 that are there... i am OBVIOUSLY missing something, but what??

not a pro. Gary

www.RoskinGemNews.com

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Gary,

Long time no see!

I'm looking at your site which seems to be on PlatformPro, not PageLines Framework.  have you updated/upgraded but not implemented it?

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

There should be a Features tab on the Platform Pro settings where you can select the number of slides to show.

#4 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

HI Rob!

Yep, it's been a while - been too busy with all of my other "hats"....  OK - so yes, Pagelines' PlatformPro 1.5.3  and yes, Features tab in Settings and changed it from 15 to 10... to 5... to 25... and nothing changes... it stays at 15.  Curious, I know. My dad was complaining that there were too many boxes beneath the slides ... I was using Feature thumbs for each slide, and he couldn't figure it out... so I switched to feature names, and that was way too crowded... could not read the names... so I tried to reduce the number of slides from 15 to 8... and nothing happened. So I tride plugging in all sorts of numbers, but I would still have 15 slides and names, or numbers, or thumbs....  

(Once we figure thus out, maybe you can help me put a regular navigation bar up on top ... But let's figure this one out first.) 

THANKS!

Gary

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Gary,

First, we released PlatformPro 1.6.0 months ago as the very last update to Platform - I'd suggest updating ASAP.  PlatformPro's now a legacy product.

Since it's using an older version of jQuery than WordPress now uses, it's very likely that's the problem - a deprecated product.

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to PageLines Framework ASAP to avoid your site crashing and all the work you've done vanishing.

We've been expecting the next WP update could kill PlatformPro. We just don't know what they'll add or change.

#6 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

OK - so do I just use Pagelines Framework and not worry about PlatformPro?

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'd recommend it. I know the slider option works there.

#8 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

OK - Just downloaded Paglines Framework - Developer 2.4.3 .... But I think I'm going to need help ... I have only upgraded / added programs to my site by using the features within the site... I have never actually gone to my ISP and installed any programs ... So now that I have 2.4.3 in my downloads, where do I go now to actually install this puppy?? (I installed the free Framework Lite version, and of course, have lost a few things in the process .... I'm sure it will all be there when we install the 2.4.3 version... yes?) 

G

#9 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ah -- so I downloaded it as a Zip file and then tried the install .... and got this:

Destination folder already exists. /home/content/69/8359069/html/roskingemnewsreport/wp-content/themes/pagelines/

Help mr wizard!

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi Gary,

If you have the Pagelines lite theme installed it won't allow you to install another theme called Pagelines as they'll both have the same folder name etc. Best thing to do would be to switch the active theme to another theme, then delete Pagelines lite. Then install your purchased version of Pagelines.

#11 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Ah --- will give that a try!  THANKS!

#12 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

That worked beautifully!   Now let's see if I can work on my site ... Thanks guys!!

#13 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Keep us posted Gary.

#14 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Okay Rob...  I am back.  Several questions (the more I do, the questions I have)

1. Added two sidebars to my pages, and have hidden them on the home page. Have moved Meteor_slide widgets into the sidebars, and slides are working nicely. So far, so good.

2.) uploaded Widget_logic.... and have NO clue where to start with being able to tell the Meteor_slide widgets which pages they should appear on and which pages they should stay hidden. (So I only have the "Diamonds" skyscraper and box ads Widgets placed into the primary sidebar.

.... So I keep seeing the use of Posts instead of Pages when talking "categories"  Do I need to change all of my Pages into Posts, or are there "categories" in Pages as well?

the site is looking much better (IMHO) when using Firefox, but it looks terrible in IE (Internet explorer) and So-So with a Mac.... I guess that will be my next question after the widget logic....

So check out the "new" page with sidebar and Ad widgets....

http://roskingemnews.../baker-resigns/

#15 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi there,

I've not used widget login before personally, but as far as I'm aware it uses conditional tags to determine which pages the widgets appear on. For example you can chose to display the widgets on certain pages by inserting the page id. Full reference of the condition tags can be found at - http://codex.wordpre...onditional_Tags

#16 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi James,

Right - I found that too and after a lot of trial and error,found where i needed to change the title of my "page" in order to be seen by widget logic. But this means I have to change all 147 headlines of all of my pages.

With a "post" however, it looks like I can keep the name of my post, and use the 'category' label to identify the "post" ... but I really don't want to have to change all 147 pages to posts.

I do see that there's a way to use each page's individual post#, but then every time I create a new page, I have to manually add the post#... and I don't want to do that either.... Is there an easy way out?

I have 8 different categories, and eight different groups of advertisements. Each group contains three different slide shows... one banner, one skyscraper, and one box.

Ok - how about this solution .... IF I have to title each diamond content page as "Diamonds" (changing the headline of the article) then I would love to change the font and font size of the title... 

here's a headline ...: "Donna Baker Resigns as President and CEO of GIA"    If I change that to just simply read "Diamonds", then the widget-logic sees it and places the diamonds top right box ad on the page. And that would be good, but the font and font size of the new headline "Diamonds" are just too much for me ....  

Can you go back to that page and see if you can help me change the font, font size, and or font color of teh headline???

http://roskingemnews.../baker-resigns/

THANKS!

#17 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hi there,

I see what you mean now. Posts will be grouped together by categories but there's nothing like that for categories unfortunately. The category pages get created dynamically where the pages are static. If you wanted to set them up to set widget logic based on the category then converting the pages to posts would be the best option.

The only thing I can see which would work like that (automated without having to enter the pade id each time you make a new page) would be using the is page template command. Eg: is_page_template( 'alpha.php' ) but then each different group intended for the ads would need to be set on a different template in the drag and drop and then that template name used to assign the widget logic code. Which would mean editing them all the pages to sit on the relevant template, which could get complicated. 

Or by using the page slug and adding diamond to each slug instead of putting it into the title.

Looking at the title on the page, it seems like it's been added manually, so they'll be no way to edit the font/color/size using css so it affects all on the pages as the title would have needed to be set inside a div with a particular class you could use to edit. The only way you'll be able to edit it in it's current format would be on a per page basis.

#18 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions .... I'll let you know which one works! :-) 

best regards,

Gary

#19 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Hi James,

We're doing good! It "only" took most of the evening, but I have figured out what works ..... :-)

You mentioned this: "... page template command. Eg: is_page_template( 'alpha.php' ) "  ... and I tried all sorts of combinations .... and THEN read about "get_page_template .... and THAT worked! YAHOO!

Okay - but now here's a question ... there are Five templates. What's the possibility of actually creating three more?  :-)

Thanks!

Gary

#20 garyroskin

garyroskin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

Oh rats!  that didn't work .... 

• Okay - I give up .... I'm obviously missing something... I have my page set to Template 1, the slides are in eth Primary Sidebar in a meteor slide widget, widget-logic is in and waiting for code .... and I've tried all sorts of codes ... and nothing happens....

Help?

• Gary