Menu - select the header, not a menu option from the drop down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 firthmr

firthmr

• Members

• 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

I have searched and searched on this, so sorry if its there already but after a 10 hour shift on my site, I can't seem to see it.

On my site www.markrfirth.com I want to be able to select the main menu menu header, not only have the option on the drop down.  On my site it won't let me click directly through to 'cross cultural training' from the menu bar, I have had to put it in the drop down.

I have tried

• Putting the page as a custom menu
  • rebuilding the menus

I am not hugely technical, any advice?

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hello firthmr 

You can achieve this by first creating a custom Wordpress menu, from Wordpress > Appearance > menus

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

then make your nav menu items by indenting the subpages as follows  http://en.support.wo...ating-sub-menus

Once your menu has been created, go to NavBar settings and select the menu you just created from the menu in the drop down box.

You can see the NavBar settings here -

#3 firthmr

firthmr

• Members

• 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi, niether of your links work?  But from what I can tell I have already taken these steps?

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi there,

The navbar section unfortunately doesn't allow for the parent item to be a link as well as an anchor. This was created that way by the twitter bootstrap team probably due to the rise in touch screen devices, as people using those wouldn't be able to activate the drop down without click on the link as well.

Our classic nav, which is a different section in the drag and drop does allow for the dropdown anchor and link, so do some of the premium navs available in the store. So unfortunately it would be a case of switching over the nav sections to get this to work as you want it to.

#5 firthmr

firthmr

• Members

• 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi James B, thanks for your help, setting it up as the top navbar like I have it is not a problem, I think I can work that.  But would if have implications for SEO, in that I would create an empty page to show the drop downs?  So Business English would not click, but I have to create a page in wordpress

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

You're not creating an empty page.  SEO reads the parent level of a menu, then looks at the child items.  If it sees a link that doesn't go to a post, page or category, then it looks at the child items and finds the link.

This is why we recommend when using drop downs in NavBar, your parent level links only use # in the URL and that your first child level menu item is the link you really wanted as parent. Remember, NavBar has limits about levels, so you can't make grandchild menu items.  Thus the first child is the recommended top link.

If you create blank pages it will have no impact on how search engines read the menu and will not help your optimization.

#7 firthmr

firthmr

• Members

• 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ok thanks, I didn't understand the use of # in the URL - what does this mean?  I am using drop downs, but to create a parent I had to create a page, are you saying there is another way past this?

Also, your last sentence says that it will have no impact on on SEO and then that will not help optimization, which one?  They are contradictory?

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

In a menu link, the pound sign # is equal to "null" or, no link.  It just tells the browser that the menu item doesn't actually go someplace else but stays right there. If you click a menu item where # is the link, you will not be redirected, but just stay where you are.

If you were forced to create a page, that means you're not creating custom menus, as you should, via Dashboard > Appearance > Menus.  See:

#9 firthmr

firthmr

• Members

• 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Fantastic, makes sense, I will take a detailed look at this shortly

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts