Photo
Sidekick

Sidekick Sidebar Menu Usability

sidebar vertical navigation nav menu

Best Answer Evan Mattson , 10 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi @basmati,

Sidekick is not just for child pages.  There are 2 modes of display that determine how the menu is populated: Page Hierarchy (child pages - but more than that), and WP Menu.

So, using WP Menu mode, you can display any menu you have created in Appearance > Menus.  The mode, as well as the menu you want to display can be changed on a per page basis using the PageLines Meta Settings.

If you haven't seen the demo, check it out here:  http://sidekick.evanmattson.com

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 basmati

basmati

Advocate

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Framework Version:PageLines Framework (always the latest)

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi Evan, thanks for the usefull sidekick menu. a question: is sidekick a solution to display childpages only? Or is it possible to use it as a standalone navigation menu (with parent and childpages together)? i'm looking for a vertical responsive sidebar menu - without the usual wordpress horizontal main nav. and what about IE behaviour - does it work in Explorer Version 7 (IE 6 support would be great as well). thanks for an answer! peter

#2 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 231 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:25 PM   Best Answer

Hi @basmati,

Sidekick is not just for child pages.  There are 2 modes of display that determine how the menu is populated: Page Hierarchy (child pages - but more than that), and WP Menu.

So, using WP Menu mode, you can display any menu you have created in Appearance > Menus.  The mode, as well as the menu you want to display can be changed on a per page basis using the PageLines Meta Settings.

If you haven't seen the demo, check it out here:  http://sidekick.evanmattson.com

#3 basmati

basmati

Advocate

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Framework Version:PageLines Framework (always the latest)

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

ok thanks - i think the demo page shows childpage mode only - so i thought i ask for the parent page mode (wp nav menu). that sounds great!  right now i'll test it in my stone age IE browsers :fpc:

#4 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 231 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hey @basmati - I just took a look on the demo site and it seems indeed that the demo for that mode wasn't finished!  I'll finish that up in the next day or so - thanks for bringing that to my attention.

There really isn't a difference in the appearance of the menu though.  It does the exact same thing as with page hierarchy, it's just sourcing the menu items from a menu!  Cool stuff.

Thanks,

E

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sidekick, sidebar, vertical navigation, nav menu